Sunday, August 26, 2012

First Day of School

I can't believe it but Brandt has started first grade.  First grade!  He has a delightful new teacher, Kara Medaris.  He seems to like her.  We all walked to school together on the first day (Tuesday, 21st) and Brandt was excited.  He doesn't talk much about what happens at school--I'm told this is a boy thing.  As a result, I don't really know what they have been doing this first week, but I do know that Brandt is tired at the end of the day.  We haven't yet started full days, but even being there until 1:30 has worn him out.  He asked twice if I had brought the car and would I go home and get it and pick him up.  We have managed to make it home every day, but I think the first little bit is going to be tough.

New this year is that Brandt gets to eat lunch at school.  I haven't yet found the school menu, and not knowing if Brandt will be willing to try something new at school, I have been sending him with a lunch.  I want him to eat it, so I've been making him a honey sandwich (no peanut butter, thank you), crunchies, a bit of fruit, two Oreo cookies, and a Capri Sun.  I have put money on his books in case he wanted to buy a chocolate milk, and on Thursday, he decided he did.  He has to put in a code to some machine at school that deducts the cost of lunch, and there is a stick with his number on it.  He knows how he is supposed to do it, so Thursday afternoon I asked if he got his chocolate milk.  He didn't.  He had a substitute teacher (on the third day?) and the sub wouldn't give him his stick because he had brought his lunch.  Oh well.

The first day, after school, I asked how it was having lunch in the cafeteria, and Brandt reported it was good.  Then he said, "My Oreos got lost.  I don't know what happened to them."  The lunch box is certainly not vast and I was dubious.  I told him to be careful the next day so that they didn't fall out or get thrown away.  Sure enough, day two, same story.  Lost Oreos.  No treat for lunch.  He must think I'm living under a rock.  Day three Brandt confessed to telling me a story.  He was just angling for more Oreos.  He also confessed he eats his Oreos first.  What a surprise!

Brandt has reported that he has played with former classmates and friends after lunch.  His friends Matthew and Brighton who were both in his class last year are not in his class this year, but they do get time to run around together outside.  I'm glad for that.  I think we need to make plans for some play dates so that he can continue those friendships he enjoyed so much.  And I hope he makes some good new friends with those in his class.  There is one boy from church, Greyson Bushman, who is in the older Primary class, but maybe we can foster a friendship there with some after school activity.  We'll see.

I have given Brandt the choice about when to do homework.  I suggested he do it right after school, as soon as he gets home, or to work on it while I make dinner.  He can sit at the counter while I prepare food so I can help him if I need to.  He has chosen dinner time, and actually, I think that will work.  He hasn't had homework yet, but I have had him sit at the counter and do some worksheets, just so we are getting into the habit.  I think we are off to a good start.

Our first grader, decked out in camouflage. 
Brandt calls it his "army clothes."

One and all on the way to school.
Even Bridget who we are dog sitting.

Kent is telling the children a Tom Love story.
He does this every morning on the way to school.

The waiting throng outside school.
There was an electric excitement in the air.

Headed into class without a backward glance.
Our boy is growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment