Thursday, December 9, 2021

Positive for Covid

Months ago, Maureen Ogles invited me, Heidi Tanner, and Cinda Morgan to join her in seeing Jim Gaffigan in concert. I regularly go to dinner with Maureen, Heidi, and Cinda, but it had been months since we got together and I was so excited to be with these dear friends with the added bonus of seeing Jim Gaffigan who is so funny. He was performing at Vivint Arena which requires anyone attending anything to show either their Covid passport with vaccination dates or a negative Covid test performed within 72 hours of the start of the event.

 

Not having been vaccinated, I went this evening on my way home from work to get a rapid test. Although I have had a little runny nose and a bit of a cough, I did not think for even a moment that I had Covid. I had the test done in Orem in the parking lot of the Timpanogos Hospital and they told me they would email me the results. Before I was even home, I got a text message saying the results were in my inbox.

 

I have Covid.

 



Kent gave it to me. He got it from Kathy Dutson. Several weeks ago, Kathy got Covid and was hospitalized. She could have one visitor and chose Kent, her ministering brother, to be that one. Kent is diligent in his attention to those he ministers to, so he went every evening to see her. He gowned and masked up to go into her room, but she couched and acked the whole time he was there, every time he was there. He tended to go late in the evening and get home after I went to bed, so he got run down. I told him if he got Covid from Kathy, then died and she recovered to go on living her miserable life, I would be mad as hell at him, and I would probably never get over my hate for Kathy. He said, “I’m not going to die of Covid,” and kept right on visiting.

 

He began feeling lousy, developed a cough, and had no energy to do anything. He slept late, got up to lie on the couch, then went to bed early. He quit visiting Kathy who was going to die (so she said) but then recovered. He did virtually nothing. He didn’t go get tested, but it doesn’t take much imagination to know that transmission from Kathy to Kent to Katherine is a highly likely scenario.

 

So, I texted Maureen, Heidi, and Cinda and told them I wouldn’t be joining them on Saturday for dinner and comedy and will call work in the morning to let them know. I’m totally bummed about Saturday, disappointed that I won’t get to be with my friends. Instead, I’ll be home, “ailing.” What’s doubly bad is that I have taken no real precautions this week, thinking I had a little cold. I worked on Monday and Tuesday and was on call on Wednesday. I didn’t get called in, so Mikayla and I ran all sorts of errands, including to Target and Costco. I worked today, thus having exposed people from Santaquin to Saratoga Springs and up to Heber with my germs. I also went to the temple on Tuesday but wore my mask the whole time, so I’m hoping I didn’t infect anyone there.

 

Post edit: I was home from work for a week. I was able to do quite a bit of Christmas stuff, though not out and about. We missed the DeMartini Family Christmas party and visit from Santa and Mrs. Clause which was the day I tested positive. I didn’t get to see Jim Gaffigan, I missed Blythe’s choir concert, our Relief Society weekly activity, and another trip to the temple. But Friday, feeling “better” (I never really felt bad), I went grocery shopping and did a few Christmas errands. But Sunday, I felt fine to return to church and Monday resumed normal activity, like work. So glad it wasn’t bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment