Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas Eve

Somewhat irritatingly, I worked today in Heber after working there yesterday, too. Two days in a row! I knew it was going to happen that way when one of my fellow Retail Supporters told me he was ditching his Christmas Eve shift and going home. He was supposed to work in Heber and I was on call. I knew they would call me, and they did. We only had to work until 3:00pm, but I still wasn’t home until 4:00 and we had to leave almost immediately to meet the Barri in Sandy for Christmas Eve dinner and fun. Work was slow, we had four people, we all sat around because hardly anyone came into the bank almost certainly thinking we had the day off (we should have). We did get out of the bank at 3:05, but I was still bugged that I had to drive home from Heber.

In my absence, Kent and the children made salad and wrapped our white elephant gifts. When I got home, we loaded up the car and headed to Sandy for our annual Barrus Family Christmas Eve Extravaganza. That’s what I’m going to call it from now on. We always have lots of people, lots of food, and lots of fun. 


This year we had fewer people than in years past, but still good food, fun, and a joyful time with those who were there. We normally have a large contingent of children to help with the nativity, but this year we only had six under-20s: Micah, Brandt, Blythe, and Brandon’s kids Scott, Caleb, and Katelyn. We managed to enlist all of them to participate and with help from some adults, we were able to fill the cast. Blythe was the innkeeper, Brandt was a Wiseman, I was the angel Gabriel announcing good news to both Mary and the shepherd. It is always good to be reminded of why we actually celebrate Christmas; we were happy to read the story and sing the songs of Christmas. Jonathan and Micah are singing in church on Sunday, and they sang for us. They have very nice voices. 



Mary and Angel Gabriel
"You're going to have a baby!"
"If you say so."

"There's no room at the inn. Look someplace else."

Shepherd abiding in the fields keeping watch over their flocks by night.

"Fear not! For behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy.
Go to Bethlehem to see the baby."

Encouraging everyone to join the heavenly host in singing
"Joy to the World"

The shepherds worshipping baby Jesus.

We had no sheep, but we did have a very small dog.

Wisemen in the East (on the east side of the room, too) 




Sharon also brought stuff to do a photo booth, so we took silly pictures. 





We had a riotous white elephant gift exchange and ended the evening with much joy in our hearts.



Whatever someone just opened, Amy doesn't like it.

 

Because I was off work last week because of Covid, I had practically everything wrapped and ready for tonight. Kent and I brought down presents and finished up a couple of little things, stuffed stockings, and were in bed at a reasonable hour. Christmas is only one sleep away!


All is calm,
All is bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment