Monday, October 18, 2021

Fall Break in Carpinteria, Day 6

We had a long drive home today. Mom drove back with Mikayla as Guy had already flown home, so it was just the four of us. As we got onto the freeway leaving Carpinteria, I started to cry. It was really a wonderful few days and I was sad to be returning to real life. Having time with family away from the cares of the world was magical. I wish we could do it more. I’m so glad we live close to each other.

 

Google Maps sent us a different way than we had come so we sort of drove through LA, around to Pasadena, and then north on I-15. Brandt watched a couple of movies on the laptop, we talked, and I read a book aloud. We stopped a couple of times for gas and to get lunch. We made a stop for potential lunch at Eddie World, California’s largest gas station with 3 restaurants, homemade ice cream and popcorn, the “CLEANEST restrooms on I-15,” and a ridiculously large selection of candy, nuts, and chocolates, and a huge variety of stuffed animals. It was all super cool and super expensive. I made the mistake of purchasing extraordinarily expensive beef jerky, but drew the line at all the other purchases I could see the hefty price tag on. We drove on to Prim for lunch.

 

We got home about 8:00pm. The last couple hours of the drive had been in some snowy weather. We were glad to be home, but not happy to be back in the dark cold, away from the sun and sand. We unpacked the car, threw clothes in the wash, and tried not to cry about being home. I feel marginally better knowing we already have plans to return to the beach at the end of Mom’s mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment