Saturday, January 6, 2018

Tour de Provo

For the past seven weeks, I have been participating in a Rec Center sponsored spin event, the Tour de Provo.  In an effort to keep people motivated to exercise during the holidays, there is a biking competition with prizes and free t-shirts for participation.  All you had to do was attend fourteen spin classes or ride 300 miles.  This may seem like a lot, but it really isn't.  Fourteen classes is only two a week, and 300 miles means you would only have to bike 42 miles a week.  Neither of these things is difficult if you go to class regularly, and I do.  Last year I felt some sense of competition and was biking most days, including staying for the double class each Saturday morning and biking close to two hours, really trying to rack up the miles.  This year I just attended spin like I regularly do, with the addition of the Saturday morning class, but I only stayed for the whole 90 minute Saturday class twice.  Even still, I placed 8th overall and rode 570+ miles, for an average of 81 miles a week.  Only the top five finishers received prizes, but everyone who met the minimum requirements gets a t-shirt, so I suppose that's something.  We'll do a great many things for a free t-shirt.  The Tour ended today, but I'll keep spinning, as long as it is cold and dark outside.  But as soon as it warms up, I'll be outside on my bike again.


All of these guys, with the exception of #1 Koby (a firefighter) and #10 Josh, who I don't know off hand, do spin the same time I do.
It's been funny to hear them talking and kidding each other about their miles.

I love that the women cycled more than the men, even though the top men had so many miles individually.
I think it's likely that more women signed up than men, 
and that, perhaps, the women were more consistent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment