Saturday, September 3, 2016

Concrete Beginnings

One of this year's house projects is to finish the basement.  We've been in our house nearly five years, and I'm ready to have the extra space.  As we've thought about it, I've realized that before we do anything, we need to make the storage space under the family room more accessible.  I want to put lots of stuff under the house, but the opening to the crawl space has been much too small to make it practical to use.  So this week, we had the concrete opening enlarged.  The concrete was cut, covering everything in the basement with a fine layer of dust, some of which floated upstairs too.  I tried to keep it contained, but it's a messy job.  

If we had the cutting company remove the slab once it was cut, it was going to cost $300.  That seemed absolutely ridiculous and Kent assured me the slab would break up easily with a sledge hammer.  In our excitement to really wail away at something, Brandt, Blythe and I began to break it up this morning.  When we were having such a good time, Brandt ran upstairs and said to Kent, "Come quickly! You're missing all the fun!"  Kent helped break up the rest.  We'll borrow Christopher's truck on Monday and haul the chunks to the concrete recycling company.

Now that we've got it all cut, Kent will fix some lights, I'll rake and recover the rocks with plastic sheeting and plywood, and then I can start arranging our stuff on shelving under the house.  We really have too much stuff, but I've whittled it down over the years and I'm not sure what, if anything else, we could get rid of.  I just need to organize it neatly and then I won't feel quite so overwhelmed by it all.

Here's to beginnings!
 
The slab and newly larger opening.


Blythe broke that large piece of concrete off all by herself.








rubble

No comments:

Post a Comment