Friday, August 9, 2013

Treasure Hunting

Last week Blythe got it into her head that she wanted to have a treasure hunt.  She drew a map then wanted me to call Mikayla to use her treasure box.  Next, she was annoyingly insistent that we get "treasure" and have people come over for the hunt.  She had a whole scenario in her mind, a something that she had to see through.  After many, many requests and much nagging on her part, I asked her to explain to me what she envisioned.  She told me everything she wanted, and so that I wouldn't have to hear about it any more, I helped.  We went to the party store for treasure--slide whistles, gold "balloons" (doubloons), rings, wands for the girls, ninjas for the boys, small pads of paper--and then to Macey's for the candy and bags to put everything in.  We went to the dollar store for a "fabulous prize" for everyone coming to hunt, and then we called it good.

We went on Monday to buy all the stuff, and yesterday, I finally invited cousins over for a hunt today.  Blythe wanted to fill all the bags last night, but it was too late, so she made me write a note that we stuck on the fridge so that I wouldn't forget we would fill the bags first thing this morning.  We filled bags this morning, put everything in the treasure chest, and I made up seven clues to take the kids around the cul-de-sac.  Just before treasure hunting time, I hid the chest behind the garbage cans and Brandt and Blythe waited impatiently for cousins to arrive.  Blythe wanted to know where all the clues were so that she could direct people, but I managed to convince her she would have more fun hunting with everyone else.

Everyone ran around yards, racing from clue to clue.  They were excited to find the treasure chest and perhaps even more excited to be together.  And fortunately, all Blythe's expectations were met.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment