Sunday, August 25, 2013

Reading Out Loud

It was my turn to read to Blythe tonight.  I had her select four books and she said to me, "Mom, I want you to read these three to me, but I want to read this one to you."  I readily agreed, and when I had read my three, she picked up The Perfect Nest and began to read.  She read whole pages, missing only a word or two. Thing is, Blythe doesn't know how to read yet.  I have tried to work with her, but doing anything official with Blythe, she and I clash.  Kent is going to have to teach her to ride a bike and roller skate and drive a car because when she and I are in a teacher/student or instructor/learner sort of situation, she balks and we end up in a fight.  (Yes, I am embarrassed to say that I fight with my five year old daughter.  Totally immature.  Don't judge me.  I'm working on it.)  But although she doesn't read, she got whole passages right, and she added wonderful expression.  When there were pages with too many words and she wasn't sure what was actually on that page, she just said, "I can't read this page," and turned the next one over.  It was wonderful!  I loved listening to her as she and I lay snuggled in bed together.  She will probably find her kindergarten learning to read stories pretty boring.


No comments:

Post a Comment