Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Blythe's First Day of School

Today was Blythe's first day of kindergarten.  She has been waiting for this day for two years.  She really wanted to go to school when Brandt did.  She had a whole year home with me alone, then last year she did pre-school.  But all along, she would frequently ask, "Mom, when do I get to go to kindergarten?"  At the beginning of last year, when she was starting pre-school, she asked about kindergarten, and I replied, "You get to go after you go to pre-school."  So, she went to pre-school the first day and after I picked her up she said, "Mom, do I get to go to kindergarten tomorrow?"  I guess I needed to be a bit more specific.

First thing this morning, when I went in to see her, I asked, "Blythe, do you know what day it is today?"  Of course!  We've only been counting down for the past week.  She needed a shower, but before she came in, she said, "I just need to pick out my ensemble for the day."  Crack me up.

We all walked to school as a family, but tomorrow, Blythe will go with Brandt and Kent.  She has been excited for this too, and to get to hear a story every day, just like Brandt.  When we got to school, we walked in and said goodbye to Brandt who was continuing on down the hall, but Blythe said, "Bye Dad! Bye Mom!" and walked into her classroom.  No backward glance, no concern, no worry.  Off she went.  I had to drag her back out for a picture, and then ask if I could take some pictures in her room.  She agreed, so I went in for a couple more photos.  She went right up to Mrs. Bigelow and handed her a box, then washed her hands and took a seat at a table and began reading.  She is so confident and comfortable with herself, self-possessed and largely unconcerned about what other people think.  It's scary and wonderful all at the same time.

As Kent and I walked away, I must admit that I cried a bit.  I wasn't really crying that she was finally in kindergarten, because she is so happy to be there, and she needs to be there, but because the children are growing up so quickly.  They go to school and do their thing and it largely doesn't involve me at all.  It's good, really, really good, and amazing.



I had to get three front porch pictures because she wanted three shots of her box, 
once picture of each side.


Brandt offered her a "good luck!" on his way to class,
and first thing he asked when we picked him up after school,
"Blythe, how was your first day?"

Washing hands

Reading a book before school officially starts


 After school I got way more information from Blythe about what happened at school than I ever get from Brandt.  Blythe is a girl who likes to talk.  Brandt is a boy who doesn't.  So I heard all about the stories they read and about the puppet she made and the girl she sat next to and the treat she ate.  She also came home with a paper and a small bag of six M&Ms.  I was to ask her a question for each M&M based on color so I could hear about the "rainbow of fun" she had the first day.  Here are the questions and answers.

Red: What is your teacher's name?  "That's easy! Mrs. Bigelow.  And I know the name of the helper too!  Mrs. Moffet."
Orange:  Tell about a new friend in your class.  "Sofia, like Sophia the First!"  I asked if she had an amulet or a crown, but she doesn't.
Yellow:  Tell about your favorite thing you did at school.  "I made this!" she said, pointing at the headband she came out of school wearing.  She had done really excellent coloring and cutting.
Green:  Tell what color row you sat on.  "Purple."  Her favorite color.  Lucky!
Blue:  Tell about a rule you learned at school today.  "Be responsible."  When I asked if she knew what that meant, she said, "Yes.  I have to take care of my things and do my homework."
Brown:  Retell a story that your teacher read to you today.  "There was a panda that went to school.  Mom, do you know what Mrs. Bigelow's favorite animal is?  A panda!  A polar bear was his teacher.  His parents went with him.  He played dress up.  His parents went home, then came back to pick him up."

She called Kent and gave him a full report, and later, she told Mikayla, Grandma Sue, and Heidi all about it too.  If you ask her, I'm pretty sure she'd tell you too.  Hooray for kindergarten!


No comments:

Post a Comment