Friday, August 23, 2013

Brandt's First Day of School

Wednesday was Brandt's first day of second grade.  I think he has been excited to get back to school, and when he got up, the first thing he said was, "Do I start school again today?"  We had missed back-to-school night because we were in Heber camping, so we hadn't had the opportunity to meet his teacher.  I had communicated with her via email, and she assured Brandt that she was excited to meet him.  He was excited to meet her too.  Her name is Mrs. Kussee.

We all walked to school together, both because it was the first day of school and because Blythe had her pre-kindergarten test.  I packed Brandt his school lunch--Nutella sandwich, crunchies, grapes, Capri Sun--and Kent told him a story as we walked.  About half-way there, he pointed out that Blythe would be walking with them starting next week.  (WOW!!!)

Mrs. Kussee warmly greeted Brandt, gave him instructions on where to hang his backpack, put his lunch, and deposit his school supplies, then greeted both Kent and I warmly too.  She really is cute, although Kent asked when they had begun letting sixteen-year-olds teach school (and get married).  She looks very young.  She has selected a monster theme for the classroom, so there is fun monster stuff all over.  Shortly after school was out, Brandt and I had an SEP with her, and I think she will be a terrific teacher for our Lad.  She has high expectations, but does fun things and I think he will thrive under her tutelage.

These past couple of days, as we have walked home from school, I have asked Brandt how school was.  He is a boy, so his responses to my questions are always one word.  "Fine."  "Good."  "Yes."  "I don't remember."  That is three words, but it still doesn't tell me anything.  He sang the weather song today, which was a new thing learned today, and he told me all about it when he was done singing.  He has several kids from our ward in his class--Britton Helquist, Bekah Neyman, Abby Davis, Kayla Howell, Anna LaComb--and a couple of friends from first grade--Marissa Heaton and Matthew Ellis.  He took a small soccer ball to school the last two days and has played with Matthew "and some other guys" at lunch and recess.  He hasn't really eaten his lunch and has returned home ravenous.

Mrs. Kussee doesn't have parent volunteers help in class, so I won't be able to get in there and help except during the Christmas party and on field trips.  Because of this, I will work in the library again this year when Brandt has his library time.  That way I can meet his classmates and see Brandt at least once a week during school.  Blythe and I may join him for lunch from time to time, but I don't think I'm going to feel as involved in what is happening with him this year as compared to last.

We have already begun to have homework conflict.  So far, Brandt's only homework has been twenty minutes of reading.  Not so tough, really.  But for three days running, I have had to nag Brandt about sitting down and reading with me.  I need to figure out a way to make it appealing, like promising to read to him for a bit after he reads to me, or having a little something to reward him when he does it.  Quick! Let me think of something before Monday!  We need to have lots less stress about second grade work than these past few days foreshadow.


No comments:

Post a Comment