Thursday, November 19, 2020

President Russell M Nelson on the Healing Power of Gratitude

President Nelson, our dear prophet, delivered a wonderful message today about the healing power of gratitude. It was just what I needed at this point in my life. I've been feeling spiritually hungry, concerned about challenges, at odds with Kent and the children, struggling with the need to find another job as Kent is getting his business back on track, worrying about money, and lacking a positive outlook about our future. I've just been in a really hard funk. 

I've been making efforts to be more positive. I've been reading the October General Conference talks, being faithful about my scripture study, trying to be more sincere in my prayers. I've been doing my part to apply for lots of jobs, and I've been working to be more patient with the children and with Kent, appreciating all the good things about our family instead of dwelling on the negative. But it's still been hard. I've avoided social media, not wanting to compare myself to others who seem to have it all put together, and staying away from all the political nastiness. 

As I listened to President Nelson's message, I felt like he was speaking to me. In all the upheaval we're dealing with as a society, what can make it better? What can heal us? 

Prayer and gratitude.

President Nelson asked us to flood social media with gratitude, including the hashtag #givethanks, and to say a prayer of thanks. He quoted several scriptures about being thankful.

Psalms 92:1  It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High.

Psalms 95:2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.

D&C 98:1 Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks.

President Nelson said gratitude soothes our feelings, and counting our blessings is far better than recounting our problems. We should even be grateful for our trials because they teach us lessons we wouldn't have learned otherwise. Prayer, and especially prayers of gratitude, bring forth miracles, something we certainly can use.

President Nelson further suggested that we turn social media into our own personal gratitude journal, expressing what and who we are grateful for, and then see if we don't feel happier and more at peace. 
He then offered a beautiful prayer which I am going to include. I certainly need to feel happier and more at peace, so I am going to take this challenge to heart.

Here is President Nelson's prayer:

Our Father in Heaven, as fellow passengers on Thy planet Earth, we humbly pray unto Thee.  We thank Thee for life and all that sustains life. We thank Thee for the beauties of the earth, for order in the universe, the planets, stars, and all things of eternal significance. We thank Thee for Thy laws that protect and guide us. We thank Thee for Thy mercy and loving watch care. We thank Thee for our families and loved ones, who fill our lives with joy.

We are grateful for all who are striving to combat the COVID pandemic. Please bless them with protection and inspiration. Wilt Thou help us end this virus that has plagued so many of Thy children.

We thank Thee for the leaders of nations and others who strive to lift us. We pray for relief from political strife. Wilt Thou bless us with a healing spirit that unites us despite our differences. 

Wilt Thou also help us repent from selfishness, unkindness, pride and prejudice of any kind, so that we can better serve and love one another as brothers and sisters, and as Thy grateful children.

 We love Thee, our dear Father, and pray for Thy blessings upon us, in the name of Thy Beloved son, Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment