Monday, March 23, 2020

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need

I was meant to be released as the Relief Society President last week. Then Covid hit here, everything shut down including church, and so I am still in place. Bishop Elder doesn't want to transition to a new president in the midst of all the new pandemonium, and so until we meet again, I will continue to serve. 

We have already been dealing with really difficult stuff, and knowing that we--our family, neighborhood, society at large--are likely to be isolated and feeling alone, I wanted to send an encouraging message to the ward. I heard one of my very most favorite songs on the radio yesterday, My Shepherd Will Supply My Need, and felt the message of the song was perfect for what I wanted to share. Here is what I wrote to the ward, my testimony of our Shepherd's love.

Dear friends,

I have been thinking about the unrest we are currently experiencing. I don't like social distancing. I don't like being away from church on Sunday. I don't like feeling a bit of fear and uncertainty with all that is happening. I am praying for you, and I hope you are praying for me, too. I take tremendous comfort in knowing we have a living prophet to guide us through these perilous times. Isn't President Nelson reassuring! But I take even more comfort in knowing that we have Christ, our sure foundation, our True Shepherd, to supply our needs. I listened to this song yesterday, a song I have loved for many years, and I was sweetly reminded that we are not alone. Christ's presence is our stay; his supporting breath drives away fear; in him we can find a settled rest. He will lead us to fresh pastures and living streams. I feel his love and hope you do too.

I love you!

Katherine

I received several responses that lifted my spirits further. Sarah Tayler said, "My favorite line is 'But like a child at home'. I aspire to be the kind of person that could be "at home" with God and Christ. I believe that someday I will be comfortable and "at home" with them. Not because I'll be so awesome but because they are so gracious and will make me feel at home and help me along my path to perfection. The the God and Brother I believe in. I love you back!"

Elizabeth Cutler said, "That’s one of my favorite songs, as well.  That one and It Is Well With My Soul have been floating through my heart for weeks.  I listen to them and hear them even when I don’t have the music on.  Oddly, this time has not been one of fear for me.  It’s been one of testimony building and faith promotion.  I have never felt more sure that God is near with his prophet sounding a sure trump.  Even though we, Jim and I, are some who have been hit extra hard financially, it just feels like everything is going to be ok because, well, of all the things you said.  'Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, Let this blest assurance control That Christ has regarded my helpless estate and has shed his own blood for my soul.  It is well, it is well with my soul.' And you, Katherine Barrus, are one of the reasons why."

Aren't those beautiful thoughts!

Here are the words of the song:

My Shepherd will supply my need: Jehovah is His Name; In pastures fresh He makes me feed, Beside the living stream. He brings my wandering spirit back When I forsake His ways, And leads me, for His mercy's sake, In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death, Thy presence is my stay; A word of Thy supporting breath Drives all my fears away. Thy hand, in sight of all my foes, Doth still my table spread; My cup with blessings overflows, Thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God Attend me all my days; O may Thy house be my abode, And all my work be praise! There would I find a settled rest, While others go and come; No more a stranger, nor a guest, But like a child at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment