Friday, March 27, 2020

Funny Children

Brandt: When can you and Dad go have a date and Katie can come babysit us?
Katherine: You don't need to have a babysitter anymore.  You are thirteen and Blythe is eleven.  You are old enough to be on your own for a time while Dad and I are gone.
Brandt: But I want Katie to come babysit us!
Katherine: I'm not going to pay Katie to come play with you.  That's ridiculous.
Brandt: But we need someone to watch us.
Katherine: If you shave, you don't need anyone to babysit you anymore.

While discussing our scripture reading in Alma 33, Blythe asked what "slothful" meant.  I said, "Think about a sloth.  What do you know about sloths?"
Brandt immediately piped up, "Sloths can be deadly if they are thrown at you."  
While this makes absolutely no sense in the context of our discussion, he just finished reading a book set in a zoo called FunJungle, and in the book, someone throws a sloth at someone else, with disastrous consequences for the person on the receiving end.

Blythe likes to read series.  While talking about books that she could read, I say, "Why won't you read Harry Potter?  The stories are fantastic, it's a series, you would love them."
"No," she said.  "I don't want to read them because everybody has read them and said how fantastic they are, and I don't want to be like everyone else."
She is soooooooo Kent's child!  This is exactly the same way Kent thought at her age.

Blythe leaves early for school.  Kent asked why she felt inclined to be out the door well before she had to be.  She said she needed to be waiting at Lilly and Emma's house so that other walkers would come be with them.  She likes a big group.
"Oh!" Kent said, "You want to be a gang."
"No," Blythe replied.  "We're a posse.  And I want our posse to be bigger than the boy's."
Apparently, there is a group of boys that all come into school together, but there are only five or six of them.  Blythe, Lilly, Emma, David, Olivia, Mia Bella, Maggie, and Hailey are more, and that, in her mind, is much better and worth leaving the house early for.

I went upstairs to say goodnight to Brandt.  He said, "Mom, lie down next to me."  Even though Brandt is 13 years old, he still likes us to lie down next to him, with an arm draped over him, when he goes to sleep.  It's his comfort thing.  Some children have blankets, some have stuffed animals, Brandt has a parental arm.  I say, "Brandt, I can't lie down next to you."
"Only for five minutes!" he says.
"No," I say.  "Not for five minutes.  I lie down next to you, it's warm and comfortable and dark, I'm always tired, and inevitably, I fall asleep and wind up snuffling softly next to you.  45 minutes later, Dad comes in to wake me so I can go to bed."
"But I'm asleep," he replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment