Thursday, September 13, 2018

Fall Soccer, Part 1

Blythe has begun playing fall soccer again.  The past two seasons, Brian Bradford has been her coach, but Angela is having a baby in a few weeks, and he didn't feel like he could do it.  Kerrie, his assistant coach, is going to have a baby anytime, too, so she was out.  They had no one.  Barbara Lepinski put out a plea to all the parents, asking for help, and I felt like I should volunteer.  But I know nothing about soccer, really, and I didn't want that responsibility.  So I asked Mikayla.  She's coached for years, she knows what she's doing, and I hoped she would be willing.  I'm happy to report, that in exchange for me watching her children during practice (Monday's right after school) and at the games (if Guy wasn't home from work or Brick had a game), she said yes.  

Hoorah!!

So far, the season has been much improved over any of the past.  Mikayla is either a miracle worker, or the girls are figuring it all out, because they are actually having success.  They won their first game!!  And not only did they win, they scored three goals.  THREE!!!  Those of us watching from the sidelines were astounded and absolutely thrilled.  The other team did score one goal, but to win, and to win handily, was just fantastic.

Sadly, their second game was a rout.  While they did score two goals, which for our team is fantastic, the other team scored nine.  Nine to two is a demoralizing defeat.  Our poor goalie came out at the half and cried and cried.  Blythe didn't seem too concerned, and we pointed out that most of them looked like sixth graders when the majority of Blythe's team are fifth graders, and they've been playing together as a team for longer.  

They lost their third game, but only by one, and they scored again.  The fourth game, this afternoon's, they tied, one-one.  

Blythe has been playing well.  She's been more aggressive, charging the ball and throwing her weight around as she's defended her goal.  She had a great run in the third game, taking the ball up the sideline for more than half the field.  When we talked about it after the game, she said, "I kept telling myself, 'You play defense. You shouldn't be clear up here with the ball.' But I just kept going because I could."  It was really a fantastic move.

So far, I haven't taken a single picture of Blythe during any of her games.  I've been watching at least one of Mikayla's kids every time, so I haven't been able to really photograph anything.  But I'll have a Fall Soccer, Part 2, and actually take some pictures of her.  I have, however, taken a picture of Cora who has been with me for most of the first four games.  She has a fruit snack on her nose.  Why, you might ask?  Your guess is as good as mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment