Sunday, July 22, 2018

Brandt Speaks in Sacrament Meeting--A First!

Brandt turned twelve, we went to Florida, and before we'd even gotten home, Brother Lindberg texted Kent to ask if Brandt would be willing to talk in sacrament meeting.  The bishopric certainly hasn't let any grass grow under Brandt's feet! 

Brandt agreed and was asked to speak about one of the sections in For the Strength of Youth.  He looked through it while we were traveling, and decided to talk about the sabbath day.  But Kent suggested that, since he's had two really nice experiences in the temple already (going on his birthday, and then going in Florida), he could speak about that.  Brandt liked that idea, and with a bit of help from me and a bit of help from Kent, Brandt wrote a talk.  Last evening we went over to the church so he could practice speaking at the podium.  We sat around the chapel and encouraged him to look up from time to time.  He would read a paragraph, pause, look up at each of us, then continue with the talk.  So funny!  I had a hard time not chuckling. 


Today Brandt an effort with his appearance.  He combed his hair and wore a skinny tie.  He sat on the stand and only looked sort of nervous.  We had a full house with lots of visitors because Keaton Helquist was speaking before leaving on his mission on Wednesday.  Brandt did a good job.  He read his talk smoothly, he spoke into the microphone, but he didn't look up.  I can understand!  So many unfamiliar faces and probably close to 400 people in attendance.  Kent and I both got lots of complements on his behalf; many people told us what a fine job he did.  We agree.  He did a fine job.  The picture I took of him on the stand isn't fine, but I'll include it here anyway.  I'll also include the whole of his talk at the end of the post.  He told me that, although Brother Lindberg said it had to be five minutes, that didn't mean it had to be the full five minutes.  Two-and-a-half would be entirely adequate.  




Good morning brothers and sisters.   I am Brandt Barrus. I turned 12 two weeks ago. Since then, I have received the priesthood. I was able to pass the sacrament here and in my uncle’s ward in Florida. In my uncle’s ward, they pass the sacrament differently.  They only need 4 deacons in their ward because it is small.
By turning 12 and being worthy,  I can get a temple recommend to go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead.  My mom wanted to take me to the temple on my birthday. We went to the City Center Temple, but the temple had a 2 hour wait.  Even though I didn’t do baptisms, I did confirmations.
Last week, we were in Florida.  In Florida, my uncle is the young mens president and they were going to the Fort Lauderdale Temple for a youth temple trip.  My mom brought my recommend so I could go with them. We also brought two family names I was able to be baptized for, Pietro (pee-et-row) Panelli and Guiseppe (juice-eppe) Aversano.  When I went into the temple, I felt the Spirit. It was all quiet. The Ft. Lauderdale Temple is a cool building. It’s one of my favorite temples. I was glad I could be there.
In the For Strength of Youth pamphlet, the first presidency says,
“In all that you do, stay focused on the temple. In the temple you will receive the greatest of all the Lord’s blessings, including marriage for time and all eternity. Keeping the standards in this booklet will help you be worthy to attend the temple, where you can perform sacred ordinances for your ancestors now and make essential covenants for yourself in the future.”  
Temples are so important.  In October conference, President Nelson talked about temples.  We now have 159 temples all over the world and he announced 7 new temples.  He said, “My dear brothers and sisters, construction of these temples may not change your life, but your time in the temple surely will. In that spirit, I bless you to identify those things you can set aside so you can spend more time in the temple. I bless you with greater harmony and love in your homes and a deeper desire to care for your eternal family relationships. I bless you with increased faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and a greater ability to follow Him as His true disciples.”
I know that by living the standards in For the Strength of Youth will help me stay worthy to go to the temple.  I know the Church is true. Joseph Smith was a true prophet.  If we follow the ten commandments we can go to Heaven. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment