Saturday, August 19, 2017

Field Trip Friday #79--DeMartini Family Campout

This evening was our annual DeMartini Family Campout.  We look forward to this all summer.  Normally we swim, but there wasn't much of that this year.  We met at Christopher and Tysen's house at dinnertime and had a delicious meal.  We talked and talked, then realized it was going to get dark and we needed to set up tents.  After establishing "camp," we had many and varied tasty treats around the (portable) campfire.  What a camp out with a camp fire?

As we were working on dinner, we realized that four of us were wearing salmon colored shirts.
Ava is standing in front of me because I spilled lunch down the front of me but didn't want to change my clothes.
It's good I didn't because then I wouldn't have matched.



Rootbeer floats, s'mores, Rice Krispie Treats, Kellogg's K Bars, and candy, candy, candy







 
Working on the perfect marshmallow

Then the real highlight of the DFC got underway--Fugitive!  This year we had three running teams led by me, Blake, and Guy.  I ran with Brandt, Blythe, and Makenna, Guy ran with Luke and Griffin, and Blake ran with Crew and Malik.  I had a plan to go one way, but Brandt wanted to go another, he took off, and we all followed.  We did pretty well, hiding behind bushes and cars.  Unfortunately, Christopher saw me and Brandt, and though we hid well, he got out of the truck and came looking for us.  He didn't see Blythe and Makenna, however, so I didn't feel like they should have to stop running.  Thing was, they didn't know where they were or how to get back to Christopher's house.  I gave them direction, we circled the block, and then went on the hunt.  We found them a bit later.  Blake, Crew, and Malik only got caught because Kent and Brandt camped right outside the cul-de-sac waiting, which they argued wasn't really fair.  I agree.  Next year, everyone must remain on the move.  It's no fair just staying in one strategic spot waiting for runners to come.

Crew, Malik, Luke, me, Makenna, Blythe, Blake
Guy, Griffin, Brandt (well disguised)

It was nearly 11:00pm when we finished, and I wanted Brandt and Blythe to get to bed.  They were both tired.  Brandt had set up his pad to sleep with all the boys in a tent, but when it came right down to it, he came and slept with me and Kent.  Blythe slept with Makenna and Ava in a tent with dividers so they each had their own "room."  We slept badly, as usual.

Breakfast was delicious.  We made french toast, bacon and sausage, and fruit.  Kent packed us up while I helped with breakfast, and when the kitchen was cleaned up, we headed home.  It was, as always, a fun activity with cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment