Saturday, August 5, 2017

A Great Man, A Fine Legacy

We laid George to rest today.  It was a beautiful, sweet, happy day.  We gathered last night at a viewing over in the Grandview ward to visit with neighbors, friends, and family.  It was a great way to begin honoring and remembering George.  Friends from years ago came, and family we don't see very often.  We laughed a lot more than we cried because really, it's hard to be sad for George.  We are sad and will miss him, but we are confident he's not sad at all.

Following the visiting, Annie gave us a mission report.  She got home on Sunday (a day later than expected because she got stuck in Dallas due to airplane maintenance issues), and none of the extended family will get to hear her talk.  Actually, she was supposed to speak in church on Sunday morning, after being home less than 12 hours, but she didn't get home so she'll likely only have to report to the high council.  But we wanted to hear about her mission, and she shared interesting and uplifting things about Taiwan, what she learned, and those she taught.  She's a lovely young woman and we are excited to have her in Provo at BYU.

This morning we put on our finery (Brandt wore his suit, Kent put on a tie!), and joined practically all of George's family to celebrate his life at his funeral.  With very few exceptions, everyone was there.  All the children except John, only six of George's 31 grandchildren were not there (Charlie, Josh, and Ethan are on missions, Brett and Joel are living abroad, Brandon didn't come?), and one of his sisters, Gae, nieces and nephews, plus lots of Droubays.  It was wonderful to see them and visit, plus get to see ward members we see rarely, like only at funerals.

Javier (Jace's friend, not related), Jace, Blythe, Tess, Lydia, Brandt, Annie, Brianne

James, David, Brenda, and Kent all spoke during the service.  James gave a life sketch and was funny, as always.  He talked about being from a family of eight, and how people he meets are often astounded that he comes from such a large family.  As an engineer, he tells people is parents were working on product development, and it wasn't until number eight that they felt they had perfected the model.  He mentioned George's boundless energy and his love of travel (48 countries) and people.  And he talked about George and Merlynn's courtship and romance that survived four years of separation as George served in the Navy during WWII and then as a missionary in Sweden.

David complimented his father on being a covenant keeper.  Throughout his life, George has served the Lord faithfully and fully.  He didn't let work or school stop him from being a dedicated father and disciple of Christ.  Someone counseled him to put his Church service aside while he was working on his PhD, but George ignored that advice.  He was a branch president during his time in Iowa, he didn't study on Sundays because he was so busy fulfilling his church responsibilities, but he found none of his work suffered because he remained committed to the Lord.

Brenda spoke about the influence one person can have on others, and the myriad ways George was THE one for so many.  From his first mission through to his time after retirement, his mission service with Merlynn, and beyond, he has had a positive influence on so many people.  I loved the tributes that were posted online in connection with his obituary, as well as email messages I have received from friends.  Although Brenda didn't quote any of these, I wanted to include them as an example.
From Clark and Joyce Baron (in the ward):  We just heard about Bishop George's passing or should we say "Graduation" from this life.  What a wonderful man!  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  George was such a great example to all of us in the ward!  George would always have a story and a suggestion for us when we asked for advice when Clark served as Bishop.  He was a great scouter and Bishop.  We are very thankful to have known him! 
From Emily Jorgensen (in the ward):  Your father-in-law was an awesome man.  So purely kind.
From Ray Beckham:  George Barrus was a mentor, a friend, and a colleague for more than 20 years. I loved him and respected him. When I joined the communications faculty, and taught some of his same classes, he shared all of his lesson plans and outlines--saving me hundreds of hours of preparation time. When I returned from my mission presidency a week after our classes had started, he filled in for me without hesitation. He was a superb teacher, a dedicated Scout leader, an energetic faculty colleague, had an innovative and creative mind, was a terrific father and devoted husband. I never saw George turn down an opportunity to help someone or be of service.
From Daniel Cook (in the ward): Scouts was always fun with Brother Barrus. From his little bear in his pinewood derby car, his stories, his pancakes, juggling, getting us ready for campouts to being there when I received my Eagle. I think he is the reason why I enjoyed scouting so much. Brother Barrus always had a smile, a handshake and a kind word ready every time I met him. But the thing I appreciated most was that he was a great example and a worthy priesthood holder. He is a part of my priesthood lineage and has indirectly helped bless me and my family many times; for which we are eternally grateful.
From Lisa Christensen (in the ward):  Please tell George that I, Tyler, Tanner, and Jace all love him!  Maybe you could also share with him that he has blessed our lives more than I'm sure he realizes.  I am confident two if not three of my boys have their Eagle Scout awards because of him.  He took Tanner's age group, who had not had a functioning 11 year old scout leader and doubled up on weekly meetings so they could get their Eagles by 14.  He had high expectations of the boys and they loved him and wanted to live up to his beliefs about them.  Please tell him that Tanner has just started his medical/anesthesiology residency at the Oregon Health Sciences and is a very good priesthood holder, husband , and father (according to Allie & what I can see).  Growing up with a family habit of frantically delivering neighbor gifts until 10 p.m. on Christmas Eve, I have been super blessed by the ward tradition of being "done" at 6 p.m. so we could enjoy the ward Christmas Devotional and the remainder of the evening calmly with family.   I also miss the tradition of scouts being in cool "extra-full" uniforms to do the flag ceremony on Independence Day before the ward breakfast.  He showed us all how to be honorable in our callings and as citizens of this great nation.  Another special memory is  of the weekly treats he would share from the Sam's Club leftovers.  He'd call my boys out to his car and have them each pick something.  Three cakes or pies was not necessarily healthy to have in the house, but the boys felt loved and I felt remembered.​  Please tell him we are so grateful for his life and love.
From Ralph Zobel (who we don't know): Dr. Barrus was one of my favorite two professors. I purposely took multiple classes from these two professors. I could only get A minus grades from Dr. Barrus no matter how hard I tried, but I remember him saying to an advertising class I attended, "mediocrity is not for you. You know too much. You were born to create worlds.
From Scott Boyter a young neighbor from Cedar City days:  George will always be one of the finest men I've ever known. My association with him goes back more than 50 years to the little town of Cedar City, Utah. He was a leader of boys who became men. His work involved much about testing and trying the young men. For them, he applied challenging experiences so important to advancing their knowledge and maturity levels which in turn better prepared them for future leadership positions in the Church and the world.
For me, he did the incredible. As a newly ordained Elder and soon to leave missionary, he offered me the unique and extraordinary opportunity to baptize his daughter Brenda. He gave me that blessing so I would be better prepared for mission service in the Kingdom. Though Brenda will always have on her Church records that she was baptized by a man who was not a member of her family, to that man she will be eternally special. That selfless decision by George was a memorable example of what sacrifice is. 
As I will be out of town Saturday, please know that I will be thinking of George, his family, and treasuring the blessing he was in my life and the lives of many others.
From Rick Stockton (who we don't know): I had just joined the Church when I convened with several members of the Communications Department faculty in a conference room in the Harris Fine Arts Center to defend my master's thesis. It seemed like everyone in the department was there, including Dr. Barrus. I don't remember having any significant conversations with him during my graduate school years at BYU (1971-1973). And I never had an advertising class that he taught. The meeting started with a prayer, for which I was grateful, thinking that these professors knew that I needed all the help I could get--and that they wanted me to do good. At the conclusion of their questions and my answers, the faculty went outside to talk. When they returned, they announced that I had passed, but with reservation, The reservation was Dr. Barrus's. He had asked me a question about advertising, and I didn't answer it to his satisfaction. He commented that he didn't want me to leave BYU without some basic knowledge of advertising. He invited me to come into his office and pick up some books on the subject, which I did. He told me to read them and come back in two weeks so he could ask me some questions. I did. And when I sat down in his office, he asked me one question: "How is your testimony?" No questions about advertising. All he was interested in was the strength of this new convert's testimony. Well, little did Dr. Barrus know--or maybe he did--that my entire career has been in advertising, as a copywriter first for a Salt Lake City agency (what is now Richter 7), then for Walt Disney World's Advertising/Creative Department in Florida, and now with the Communications Department at LDS Philanthropies, the Church's fundraising arm. I ran into Dr. Barrus a couple years ago in a barber shop. He was talking up a storm with the barber while I waited for a seat. When he finished, I introduced myself and related the master's thesis story. He didn't remember, but I have, fondly and gratefully, for nearly 45 years. 
From John Knab (who we don't know): There have been thousands of professors come and go through BYU. George Barrus was the best in my opinion. What a good person!
From Doug Gardine (who we don't know): I took an advertising class from George and enjoyed his great personality and vigor. I used to see him shopping in the grocery store after he retired and though he probably didn't really remember me, he was always gracious to take a few minutes to visit.
Talk about the power and influence for good one person has, and how well George used that influence.

After a beautiful piano performance by Brianne, Kent was the concluding speaker.  He did such a good job.  He was worried about his talk, feeling pressure to say what his dad would want him to say, as well as preaching a bit of repentance and towing of the line as we've got some family members who are not choosing the right at the moment.  Kent's thoughts were funny and sweet and absolutely perfect at combining a call to repentance with compassion.

And when I get a copy, I will insert it here.
Part of it is the story below.

Story from George's history.
July 5, 1935 was memorable because I committed myself to be the only kid in town with firecrackers to set off at Christmas.  I fired off my crackers in an old barn with a much younger neighbor girl, Annie Mae Atkin, as my sole audience (Annie Mae came to the viewing with her daughter.)  About two hours after I ran out of firecrackers (so much for the Christmas fireworks display) I noticed a huge tower of smoke billowing from the barn.  I ran for shelter and anonymity beneath my bed.  Mom asked me what was wrong as I stayed there while the fire truck and every kid in town were gathering around that burning barn.  Then the really horrible truth dawned on me that guileless second grader Annie Mae couldn't tell a lie no matter what.  Not only could she not lie, but she would most likely go to the nearest authority figure and voluntarily confess without being asked any questions.  I was prepared to lie to save my ski, even at the loss of my immortal soul.  That afternoon my father extracted me from under the bed and took me to meet my doom at the hands of our neighbor and barn owner Brother Willard Atkin for confession and whatever penance and punishment was deemed necessary.  It would mean a prison tern at the very least.  I still have a nice, warm feeling for him because she said, "That old barn needed to come down anyway."  He pointed out that my timing was pretty good because the next day he was going to fill it up with new hay, which would have been a great loss.  Depression, you know.
I love this story! And I love that Annie Mae Atkin came to bid George adieu.

Dad was also fond of telling a story about Brother Atkin.  He had just finish a section of concrete sidewalk in front of his house.  A chicken came along and walked right though the sidewalk.  Brother Atkin watched the chicken and then turned and walked calmly into the house.  He came out with a shotgun and blam!!feathers everywhere.  He then said, with no emotion whatsoever, "That chicken will never walk through wet concrete again."

Kent's notes: Dad always said, quoting a great aunt, that it was perfectly acceptable to embellish the truth at a funeral if it would cast the family in a better light.  With Dad,  we didn't need to embellish a thing.  He was a good man, who lived a good righteous life.  We celebrated his good life and his honorable graduation from mortality.

When he was bishop, George instituted a tradition that is still observed with each high priest in the ward who dies.  An honor guard is formed, with high priests lining the sidewalk as the casket is taken to the hearse.  It was incredibly beautiful and moving to come out of the chapel and see all those good men, standing to honor George.  Brandt wanted to be a pall bearer, and because he wanted to, so did Blythe.  We asked James (in charge of funeral program) if it would be okay for Blythe to be included, so she led the procession, and Brandt helped carry Grandpa's body.





Monica arranged for George to be buried with Naval honors, so there were two very sharp looking young men in their Navy whites at the cemetery when we arrived.  They said a few words, played taps, then folded the flag that was draped over George's casket and presented it to Craig, saying, "On behalf of the President of the United State, the United States Navy, and a grateful Nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service."  It was very moving.  











Lee dedicated the grave, and then, in true George fashion, we took family pictures.  One large family picture of all of us who were there, and then smaller family pictures.  I'm certain George would have been pleased by that.  I'll include those here when I get copies from Kent's cousin Jonathan.

Rather than have the ward provide lunch, we all went to Molly's for a delicious meal that was George's final Hurrah!  We were able to visit with more family as we ate pulled pork sandwiches, salted caramel chocolate chip cookies, and lemonade.  While it is sad for those of us who remain here without George, it really was a happy day, a sweet day of remembrance and celebration.  We love George, we will miss him, but we know he is busily engaged in God's work, just like he was here.  As a faithful covenant keeper, there is no reason to doubt he continues to be on the Lord's side, doing His work, for the benefit of His children.

Adieu, Dad and Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment