Friday, March 4, 2016

Field Trip Friday #59--Springtime Biking

Today I took the kids biking.  The weather has been glorious--sunny, warmthing, so inviting.  Blythe asked if we could go biking and knowing I would have to get three bikes up to the Murdoch Trail, I bought a universal bike rack off KSL this morning so I could strap them on and off we could go.  I had the guy I bought the rack from help me attach it to the car, so when we went out after school to load on bikes, it was in place.

We drove up to the trail and had a great time biking.  I wanted to ride at least five miles, and we actually made it closer to six.  We hadn't been on the trail very long when Blythe said, "Mom! I really like this!"

"You really like what?" I asked.

"Biking!" she said.

How that warms my heart.  I want to be raising bikers, and I want to be able to take Blythe to Little Red Riding Hood in the next couple of years, and I want to bike with Brandt and Blythe lots this summer.  Less warming was the whining that started when they got thirsty and we discovered that none of the water fountains had been turned on yet and I had forgotten to bring water bottles.  Ah well.  Live and learn.

After biking, I told the kids we could go get a drink, and I attached the bikes to the car.  Unfortunately, I made a critical error and started to drive down Palisades Drive in Orem.  There are lots and lots of speed bumps along that road, and while I was not driving fast, when I hit the first bump, the whole bike rack came loose from the car and nearly dumped all three bikes into the road.  I pulled right over, jumped out, and managed to save the bikes from crashing to the ground.  I hoped to be able to right them and reattach the rack, but they were too heavy and the back of the car was too high.  I had to take all three off the car, reattach, and then rehang all the bikes.

Brandt apparently thought I was incapable of fixing the problem, because before I could even get one bike off the car, he had called Kent and told him he needed to come help us.  When I was finally able to speak to Kent (after a dramatic retelling of our minor mishap), I assured him that I was okay and could get us all home.  Brandt got out of the car and directed passing traffic around us, while Blythe gave not so helpful suggestions out the window.  I was disappointed in the bike rack and have decided I need to spend a lot more money for a much better rack that attaches to a trailer hitch (which I need to have put on the car so I can attach a bike rack to it).

In the end, we came away having had a great ride and no squashed bikes.
And lemonade.
But no pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment