Monday, February 22, 2016

Funny Children

Of late, I've been trying to record the funny things the children say, because, really, there are lots.  Here are some examples.

Brandt: "Did you see me warily eyeing my meatloaf?"

Blythe:  "I don't like to be forced to do things."  In this case, I was trying to get her to eat her salad.

Kent: "Who wouldn't like our Blythe?  She's cute, and funny, and fun."
Blythe: "And forgiving."

Brandt: In response to the neighbor saying, "We're a sporty family."  "Well, we're a reading family."  I love that he associates our family with reading.

When I asked, "If you don't have shoes, what are you?" expecting to get the answer, "Barefoot." Brandt replied, "Homeless?"

While watching the 80s movie The Three Ninjas, there is a scene where a bad guy takes off his shirt.  He's wearing a tight tank-top underneath.  Brandt, enthralled by the movie and the impending fight scene, said, "Oh, he's a yoga teacher.  I want to do yoga! What!? Yoga is over already?" as the bad guy was rapidly defeated and the three ninjas raced out of the room.

While talking to Kent, I suggest I could bike home from Heber (practically all downhill!).  Kent doesn't think that's a good idea and says so.  From the backseat, Blythe says, "Kent, Mom is a woman.  She can do what she wants."  Truth.

Brandt, to Kent:  "Focus your attention on me!"

Blythe told me all about a game she and her friends Lilly Bradford and Maggie Davidson play.  They are the Love Squad (or something).  They spy on other students who are "in love," and if they are spotted, they race to the bathroom and hide in a stall.  They spied on Danny and Adrie who told everyone they were in love and even agreed to be each other's valentine.  Lots of giggles as Blythe recapped the Love Squad's silly activities.

Conversation with Blythe in the car.
B: Mom, when I get married and have children, I'm going to name them all after their birthstones.
K: Like Tourmaline?
B: Huh? What's that?
K: That's a birthstone.
B: I like that name.  (Minute long pause)  Actually, I'm only going to name the girls after their birthstones.  I don't know what I'll name the boys.
K: Some girls are named after birthstones.  Ruby, Pearl . . .
B: Amethyst.
K: I was thinking Opal.  Do you think Peridot is a good name?
B: Of course.

Brandt, to me and Kent as he's bugging his sister, "I like to annoy Blythe."  Spoken like a true big brother.

Blythe has been saying things are "literately impossible," like learning a new piano piece.  Literately.

Blythe exclaims, "Holy colossal!" then follows it up with "What does colossal mean?"  While it was funny once, after the 67th time of her saying, it was less than funny and I was ready to shriek.

Brandt: Do you have to say excuse me when you hiccup?

No comments:

Post a Comment