Sunday, May 17, 2015

Yes, I Know Heavenly Father Loves Me

It was my turn to put Brandt to bed tonight.  We are currently reading Treasure Island, a reading that is not conducive to settling down for sleep.  Tonight there was a battle where eight men were killed, and Jim snuck away from the stockade.  Exciting stuff.  In addition, tomorrow is Brandt's class opera and he is nervous, worried about how it will all go.

When Brandt is wound up, or Blythe too for that matter, I find that singing Primary songs is just the ticket to calming him down.  So when we had finished reading and said a prayer, I began to sing.  All the rain we have recently received has made everything lush and green.  The plants and flowers seem to be singing in joy and gratitude, all abloom and growing.  The world is gloriously beautiful.  Tonight I sang songs about nature, Life is O'erflowing With Beautiful Things, I Think the World is Glorious, and Heavenly Father Loves Me.  As I lay in bed with Brandt, my arm across his body snuggling him, singing softly in the dark, I was overcome with love for my boy, for my girl, for my Kent, for my life, for this glorious world and the amazing experience of mortality.  I had an intense desire to live long and see my children and grandchildren grow with Kent by my side.  And then the loss of my dad hit me forcefully and I missed him, really, really missed him.

But then I was suddenly and completely overwhelmed by God's love.  I was immediately filled with sure knowledge that He knows me and loves me.  My life is so good; I am so blessed.  God created this beautiful earth and put us here in families to grow and learn and live and love.  I'm grateful for those I get to make the journey with, and hope my actions will show how grateful I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment