Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Unpleasant But Necessary

 

This morning I walked Blythe to school.  Although Kent was taking the children to school as usual, Blythe had doddled and wasn't ready when it was time to go.  In fact, she raced into the bathroom to take care of business at the very moment she needed to be walking out the door for school.  I sent Kent and Brandt off (Brandt hates to be late--he gets that from me), and took Blythe when she was done and ready to go.

As we walked past the Robison's house, Blythe said to me, "Mom, why don't we do a haunted forest at Halloween?"

"We don't have a forest," I replied.  "Plus, I don't like haunted forests, neither do you or Brandt or Kent, so why would we have one?"

"I like haunted forests," she said.

"Well, I don't," I again replied, "and I don't want to spend a lot of time doing something I don't like to do."

"You don't like to do laundry," she sagely responded.

I agreed with her.  "Yes, that is true.  I don't like to do laundry.  But we have to have clean clothes, so I do laundry.  We don't have to have a haunted forest, so I'm not going to do one."

I don't know if she was content with that response, but there it is.  Sometimes you just have to do unpleasant things, but sometimes, fortunately, you don't.

1 comment:

  1. I bet this one comes back to bite you, she is a clever one!

    ReplyDelete