Thursday, January 31, 2013

This Morning

I woke at 6:30 this morning.  Kent was not in bed so I figured he was up with Brandt, our early riser.  I grabbed my exercise clothes to head downstairs for a bit of jumping around, but stuck my head into Brandt's room to invite him to come downstairs too.  Kent was not there (he was in with Blythe), but Brandt was up and said, even before I could say good morning, "Mom! Will you read to me?"

Last night we started a Roald Dahl book, The Magic Finger.  I was tired, however, and sort of started falling asleep while reading to him (it was warm and darkish and I was horizontal), so we hadn't gotten very far.  The Gregg family had just been shrunk, had their arms turned to wings, and the Gregg sons had just flown out the window when I had to put the book down and turn off the light.

I knew that if I crawled into bed with Brandt this morning, I would get any exercising done.  If it doesn't happen first thing, it doesn't happen.  But how could I possibly say no to my boy?  Is exercising any sort of excuse for not snuggling with our lad and reading something fun like Roald Dahl?

So read we did.  For a long time!  We finished The Magic Finger, but it wasn't enough.  I started in on The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) and read about five chapters.  Then I had Brandt read a short book about penguins to me.  We totally snuggled, with arms wrapped around each other, cheek to cheek.  I LOVED IT!!!!  Way tons better than exercising.  The only thing that got me out of bed was that I had to go to the bathroom.  It was a good thing too.  I had gone into Brandt's room at 6:30, and when I came out, it was 7:55!  Brandt needed a shower and breakfast, plus a lunch packed, and we did not have much time.  Kent had to drive him to school because he would have been late otherwise.

It was, however, totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment