Monday, February 4, 2013

The Little Birds

With the cold weather and snow, our bird feeder has been very popular.  It hangs in the backyard where I can easily see it from the kitchen window.  I love to see the little birds out eating.  They are very messy and much of the food from the bird feeder ends up on the ground.  It gets eaten, but more slowly, and over the last couple of weeks, with all the snow we have gotten, it gets covered up.  We had a warmish day or two last week and the enormous pile was fully revealed, showing how much has not been consumed.

Yesterday, the second day in a row of all-day-snow, I looked out the window and saw a bevy of quail scratching for the seed.  A dozen of them were huddled together, flinging snow onto each other as they worked their way through the snow to the seed underneath.  I must confess, it delighted my soul.  I was so happy to see them out, getting what they needed from our yard.  I hope they come back every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment