Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ice Skating

On Friday, the first graders had earned the privilege of going ice skating.  I got to go too.  Brandt was so excited and talked about it all week.  I really like the kids in his class and so I was kind of excited too.  I couldn't really imagine a whole lot of six and seven-year-olds on ice, but some of them did really well.  I don't think I can really include Brandt in that group.  He did not take to ice skating like a fish to water.  No.  It was something of a struggle to say the least.  Brandt kept leaning backwards which threw his center of gravity off and caused him to fall on his bum.  I kept encouraging him to bend forward at the waist, but my suggestion fell on mostly deaf ears (just like normal).  Then Brandt kept trying to skate like he was walking, putting the heel of his foot down first.  That doesn't work when you are ice skating.  Again, I encouraged him to keep his toes down and glide.  Another largely ignored suggestion.  I spent most of the hour picking Brandt up off the ice.  He did manage to launch off on his own towards the end, and we went around a couple of time with only a fall or two each time.  He had a great time and I was happy I got to be with him.

In addition to the skating, Brandt got to ride the bus to the arena.
Too fun!

Brandt spent a good portion of our hour skate just like this--on the ice.


This is the top of Brandt's head.
He is clutching me around my legs, trying to stay upright.

Lisa and Kyle


Miss Medaris (Brandt's teacher) helping Omar and Jaden and Morgan

Troy and Morgan and Izaiah
Morgan really likes me and must have skated up to me 16.5 times to say,
"Look Mrs. Barrus! I'm skating!"
All 16.5 times, I responded,
"Morgan! You are fantastic!"

More lying about on the ice.

Kierzten and Kayla 

Me and my lad, together on ice.

Kelton and Brandt, who found crawling across the ice somewhat less intimidating.

David, whose first time it was on the ice.

And Brandt again.

Monica, who did very well.
At one point in time she was literally skating circles around Brandt as he lay on the ice.


Look! He's skating!
All on his own!
Yeah!
By this point in our skate, my back was killing me.

 The general pandemonium after our skating.
Everyone seemed to have a great time, although I'm not sure
if I'll be able to get Brandt back on the ice any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment