Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Funny Words

This evening, while Brandt was doing his homework, the radio was on.  Classical 89 specifically.  At the conclusion of a piece of music, the announcer said that the composer had been a lute player, and so in the composition we had just heard, the lute had been featured prominently.  Following this comment, Kent, who was unloading the dishwasher, said, "I would rather play the sackbut than the lute."

"Sackbut!" Brandt shrieked in delight.  "Hahahahaha! Sackbut! Sackbut! Sackbut!"  

I gave Kent a look--a look of some displeasure.  When he realized that he had just given Brandt free reign to say "butt" as much as he wanted, he gave me a sheepish grin and chuckled right along with Brandt.  

I should probably point out that by saying "sackbut," Kent was perilously close to breaking one of our new family rules, "Do not speak impolitely."

This whole exchange did cause me to look up a sackbut and we thus discovered that a sackbut is a Renaissance trombone.  Now, having learned something today, I can go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment