Sunday, December 2, 2012

We Go To Disneyland, Part 3

Wednesday, November 7:  Once again, Brandt woke super early.  He rolled over and said to me, "Mom, is it morning yet?"  I asked him to tell me what the clock said and he replied, "Five" at which point I thought, 'Please say 58' because then it would be 6am, but he continued, "zero four."  Groan.  I must say that I was fairly irritated every morning that Brandt woke so d---ed early.  But as Kent pointed out, there was nothing for it.

We spent our third day in California Adventure.  We went on lots of rides, the girls had lunch at Ariel's Grotto, we saw (and participated in) Phineas and Ferb's Rockin' Rollin' Dance Party as well as the Pixar Play Parade, and ate dinner at Goofy's Kitchen.  We had so much fun, Blythe fell asleep in the stroller as we walked back to the hotel.

I had a stupid moment with the camera.  It is a new camera and I have only charged it once.  It doesn't use replaceable batteries, but a large battery that has to be charged with the something plugged into the wall.  When I was packing, I put the charging plug in my purse, but I failed to remember that I had to have a cord that attaches the camera to the charger.  As a result, my camera died on Tuesday afternoon while we were at the beach.  Turns out Sharae has a cord, but I didn't think to ask anyone until Thursday afternoon, and so although I did get the camera charged eventually, I didn't have it for two days.  Another groan.  I used the Flip to take video and then took snapshots from the film, but they aren't always as clear as pictures from an actual camera.  Fortunately, family members have shared their pictures with me.

 
Bugs Land was super cute.
The rides, however, were pretty lame.
They were slow and short, like this caterpillar that drove slowly along the track through over-sized food.
We all went and filled a caterpillar.  

 

There is a super cool fountain in Bugs Land.
We made a misstep in stopping to chat about the next course of action, and by the time we had figured out what we were doing, Brandt was soaking wet.  
Fortunately it was hot enough that he dried quickly.
We certainly couldn't expect them to stay out of such a tempting area.

 

Just for fun, the girls went to have lunch at Ariel's Grotto.  Not only are attendees greeted personally by Ariel, other princesses come around to each table and talk briefly with diners.  Although pricey, the meal was delicious and it was super fun for the girls to feel as though they met Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Cinderella, Belle, and Snow White.

I am all about the food, and really, lunch was tasty.  We began with three tiered appetizers--salad on one plate, fruit and veg on a second, and meat and cheeses on a third.  As part of the meat and cheese, there was a lobster and shrimp salad that was fresh and delicious.  We had two appetizer trays and I ate the lobster off of both.  Although Mikayla would have had some, she is pregnant and isn't supposed to eat shellfish, so I got lucky and had more than my fair share.  YUM!  We were then given six choices of entree; Blythe and I both had tri tip with potatoes and steamed veg, and then we were given a whole dessert tray with cookies and cakes.  All in all, it was a super fun lunch.



Ariel greeted each girl individually. 
Blythe is telling her something (I was too far away to hear), and you can see how nice she was.
They must have been talking about food because Blythe said to me,
"She said Eric likes pizza."
Isn't that great?  Eric is Ariel's husband and Blythe heard all about him.

And here she is talking to Ava.  
See what I mean?  
Super nice.





 


Here again, Snow White is taking a moment to speak to my daughter.
I couldn't hear what Blythe was saying to her, but Snow White took her time and was sweet and gracious.
Just like a princess should be.


How great would it be to put on your resume
"2011-present  Cinderella"

While the girls were lunching, the boys were over riding Cars and playing on Grizzly mountain (or something).  We met up after lunch.  More rides, including Cars, Soarin' Over California, and a rapids ride whose name I can't remember.  Blythe really, really, really wanted to go on the rapids ride, but she was about a finger too short.  I should have padded her shoes because she would have loved it.  Several times since we have been home she has said, "When we go to Disneyland again, can I go on the water ride?"  



We all got really wet on this ride.

These pictures are from a carousel where we all rode fish.






In Cars Land.
 

 
A picture of Tysen taking a picture,
and Mikayla and Guy ready to race.

The Cars ride is super, super fun.  You drive into Radiator Springs doing some quick dodging around things. After a bit you line up next to another car and then race through country that looks just like the movie.  The racing is fast, too.  Unlike some of the older rides, like the Matterhorn that jerks you around, the cars are smooth, just really fast.  It was so fun!  As soon as we were finished, Blythe said, "Let's do it again!"  So we did.

Blythe, Tysen (with hair over her face) and Ava (who you can't see behind Kent)
Me, Brandt (who is blocked by the car) and Kent

Sue and Sharae
Mikayla, Guy, and Makenna

Our second ride.
Me, Blythe, and Mik

Me, Blythe, Mikayla
Ava, Makenna, Tysen


 
Mikayla and Eugene are helping me stretch.
Guy thought it was pretty funny.

Now I have a confession to make.  I really like Phineas and Ferb.  I like the characters, especially Candace (an oldest sister with little brothers who drive her crazy), I think the writing is clever and funny, and I like that there is always a musical number with catchy tunes and lyrics.  Just for the record, the kids and Kent really like it too.  So, when we happened upon Phineas and Ferb's Rockin' Rollin' Dance Party! I was as excited as the kids.  Phineas and Ferb plus four Fireside Girls dance and sing nine songs from the show including Gitchee Gitchee Goo.  We danced and sang on the sidelines until invited to participate.  Luke got out and danced, and I got out and hoola hooped.  Mikayla posted a short clip of me on Facebook, but I am only going to include pictures.  So fun!  I love Disneyland!


Yes, Kent has his ears plugged. 
It was loud.

  




When I showed Kent this picture, he said, 
"There is my shy and retiring wife.  You really need to try to come out of your shell."




After we had been riding and dancing and doing more riding, we were headed towards Soarin' Over California and, once again, happened upon a treat, the Pixar Play Parade.  Once again there was catchy music, all the characters from the movies, and fun costumed dancers alongside.  Brandt and Blythe were both dancing in the street as we waited for the parade to arrive.  This was at the end of a very busy day and yet the children still had enough energy to really move and groove.







This picture makes me laugh. 
It is one thing to put "Cinderella" on your resume, but another thing entirely to put
"rear end of caterpillar."

  

 

  
Is being "read end of dog" any better or worse than "rear end of caterpillar?"

Soarin' Over California was another ride we all went on together.
Here is a picture of us waiting in line.
Actually, as I look at the picture, I realize Eugene was outside waiting with Collin who couldn't go.
So we almost all went soarin' together.

We ended with day with dinner at Goofy's Kitchen.  It is a buffet in one of the Disneyland hotels, and while you eat, characters come around to your table to talk and/or sign your autograph book.  It was very expensive and I didn't think the food was great.  The kids certainly didn't eat their money's worth.  Kent and I both agreed that we would not go again.  However, upon our arrival home, Brandt had to write about something we did during our trip for his homework, and this is what he wrote (transcribed as he wrote it). 

"One night we went to goofy's kitchen (with a backwards Y).  It had goofy and chip and aladin and mine mous and snow wit."  

Dang it! He liked it!



 



We walked past the Lego store on the way back from dinner.  We had to stop, of course.  Brandt wanted to buy about six different Lego sets, but we managed to convince him we could get Legos in Provo, and then we wouldn't have to get them home on the plane.  Both children were able to build three individual Lego people which were small and portable.  By the end of the day the children were so wiped out, Blythe fell asleep in the stroller on the way back to the hotel.

A wall of bins of Legos in different sizes and shapes.
I wanted to wriggle my fingers in all of them.

Giant Lego knight on horseback.

No comments:

Post a Comment