Saturday, December 8, 2012

Reading

Brandt is reading really well, and he is reading everything.  When he doesn't know a word, he will ask what it says.  I encourage him to try and figure it out, or I tell him the word.

Today we were at a plumbing store getting toilet parts (new toilet for the kids bathroom--before and after pictures to come) and Brandt needed to go to the bathroom.  I took him in the back of the store and waited just outside the door while he took care of business.  He wasn't quick.  From inside the bathroom he asked, "Mom, what does G-L-A-S-S-C-L-E-A-N-E-R spell?"

I had him sound out "glass" and he got the rest from there.  Then he said, "What does B-A-T-H-T-I-S-S-U-E spell?"  He sounded out "bath" and I helped him with tissue.  He wanted to know what "bath tissue" was.  "Just a fancy way of saying toilet paper."

Then, still through the door, he said, "What does P-R-O-U-D-L-Y-M-A-D-E-I-N the U-S-A spell?"  At this point, I began laughing to myself.  While I found it all very funny, I'm also delighted that Brandt wants to know what things say and is working to figure them out.

And while this has nothing to do with reading, it is another funny Brandt thing.  We went to Rumbi's for dinner and I ordered their fries which come with both regular french fries and sweet potato fries.  When they were brought to the table, I began sorting them out, giving Brandt and Blythe the regular fries while reserving the sweet potato fries for me and Kent.  As I was putting them onto a napkin for Brandt, he said, "Ah! You know me so well."

No comments:

Post a Comment