Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

This picture is a year old, but I couldn't find another more recent.
I need to take more pictures of my mom.

Our sacrament meeting theme today was "Mother's."  (What a surprise!)  A man in our ward, Kyler Black, gave an excellent talk focused on D&C 64:33-34.  
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.  And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.  Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.
So much of mothering is wearying, and yet small things can bring about great works.  Kyler challenged us to think of a small thing our mother had done for us or taught us and to thank her for that.  As I sat in church, I quickly thought of three things my mom did for me and continues to do for me for which I am especially grateful.

First, my mom instilled in me a love of reading by reading out loud to me from an early age.  She didn't stop doing it, even as I grew older.  I have a fond memory of Mom reading The Count of Monte Cristo out loud to me when I was probably fourteen or fifteen, well past the time when I could read have read the book myself.  It remains one of my favorite books, and reading remains one of my very favorite things to do.  I read to Brandt and Blythe all the time and know that they love that time we spend together too.  I think it is wonderful how that activity has been passed from my mom to me and now to my children.  Reading enriches my life and I am grateful my mom read to me.

Second, my mom prays for me.  Still.  I know when I was young my mom prayed for me--that I would do well on a test, that I would make a new friend, that I would get a part in the school play, that I would become the best me.  As I grew, she prayed that I would gain a testimony, that I would be happy and healthy as I served a mission, that I would be successful in all my pursuits.  She prayed that I would get into graduate school, she prayed that I would pass my comps, and she prayed for me as I wrote my dissertation.  She prayed that I would be reassured in my choice of spouse, and then she prayed for many years as we yearned for the blessing of children but didn't have any.  Now that we have been blessed with two children, she prays that I can be a good mom and teach my children the important things they need to learn, and she prays that we'll find a new home where we should be.  I'm grown.  I'm an adult.  But my mom continues to pray for me, demonstrating her continued love and support.

Third, my mom has set a wonderful example of faithfulness through trials.  My mom has not had it easy.  The past five years have been particularly challenging.  I say that, but I know many years have been tough on my mom.  And yet through it all, Mom has remained faithful to the gospel and to her covenants, and she has not questioned the Lord's wisdom in giving her those challenges.  She turns to Him for support and strength, showing me that although life is difficult, we can continued to lay the foundations of a great work through our small acts of faith.  I think my mom has given God her heart and has a willing mind, and I believe she will eat the good of the land of Zion.  At least I hope she will.  She deserves that reward.

Another year old picture.

In addition to an excellent mother, I also have a fantastic mother-in-law.  No one (and I am serious about this) has a better MIL than me, except Kent's siblings spouses, but we share the same MIL, so that doesn't count.  There are two things that come to mind when I think about what Merlynn has taught me, and as I am not her child and did not grow up in her home, these lessons have come to me later in my life.  

First, Merlynn has been an example to me of patience.  The Brits have the saying "Keep Calm and Carry On," and that personifies Merlynn for me.  She is calm and yet she carries on, doing what needs to be done with little question and no complaint.  In addition, all her children speak of how even tempered she was and how she never raised her voice, never spanked, never had to resort to dire threats or histrionics.  I need (really, really, really need) to follow her example.  

The second thing is to think well of others and never criticize.  I have never heard Merlynn say a negative thing about anyone in all the years I have known her.  The closest she ever came to saying something unkind about someone in my hearing was after a Relief Society birthday dinner.  The food was horrible.  I exaggerate not.  It was awful.  Beyond awful.  It was all inedible.  It was cold, it looked gross, it smelled comparable, and it was presented as a fine meal made especially for our enjoyment.  No one, and I wish to stress this, NO ONE  received any enjoyment whatsoever.  I had all sorts of unkind things to say about the nice (though completely inept) woman who was in charge, and was willing to share my opinion with anyone even mildly interested in what I had to say, but Merlynn was far more kind.  Her only comment was, "A. should have perhaps started her preparations a bit earlier."  Understatement.  I need to do better at seeing the good in others and ignoring the bad thus following Merlynn's fine example.  

More recent picture

I have the blessing of having a third "mom" in my life, Blythe's Grandma Dawn.  Although I am not technically related to Dawn, she looks upon me as a daughter and sees my kids--both of them--as her grandchildren, even though only one of them truly is.  During our acquaintance, Dawn has set an example to me of hope.  She deals with some fairly significant challenges that weigh her down and cause her anxiety, and yet she looks to the Lord and is hopeful.  She believes good can come from the "bad" and is super supportive of our family.  She thinks I'm a great mom, too, which I think is pretty hopeful (as I know I still have a long way to go).

These moms bless me and inspire me to do and be better through the small things they do for me.  I feel my foundation as a mother, wife, and daughter is strengthened by them and I am grateful for their love.  Happy Mother's Day to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment