Friday, May 20, 2011

Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration

After I put this post on my other blog, I decided I really wanted it on this one, so I am moving it here.
You don't have to read it again.

I did sharing time today in Primary.  The theme was "Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration."  I felt that it went so well, even with the junior Primary.  I think the Joseph Smith story, especially when told in his own words from his history, is so powerful, so I shared that with the children.  I read to them about Joseph's desire to know which church to join and his search in the scriptures, then his resolve to take God at his word and ask Him, in faith, what he should do.  I read about the darkness overwhelming Joseph to the point that he thought he was going to die, and then of the miraculous first vision.  

I know Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  I know Joseph Smith was called to restore the fullness of Christ's gospel on the earth in the latter days.  I know Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and that it is a true record and another testament of Jesus Christ.  I  know the ordinances of the temple, especially the sealing, are saving ordinances that give us the opportunity to return the presence of our Father if we will be faithful.  I am grateful for Joseph's faithfulness, example, and sacrifice, and for the gospel that blesses my life each day.  

I palpably felt the Spirit as I testified to the children, and I hope they felt it too and recognized it as the Spirit.  As I bore my testimony, there was certainly a level of reverence we don't often achieve in our rapidly growing Primary.  I was gratified, too, that Brandt was able to recount significant portions of the Joseph Smith story to Kent as we had dinner.  I think the children get more than I give them credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment