Monday, April 25, 2011

Carl Bloch at BYU

There has been a wonderful exhibit of pictures of Christ at the BYU Museum of Art since November.  I took the children in January when our Relief Society went, but Kent and I went back on Friday for a private tour with my mom, Aunt Georgianne and Uncle Lauren.  Mom knows a man who works for LDS Foundation and was responsible for raising the money necessary to pay for the exhibit.  

Although the children were good when I took them, it was much easier to look and contemplate and reflect on both the images and the life of Christ.  As Easter has been approaching, I have been talking to the children about Christ's life and death and resurrection, wanting them to understand that Easter isn't really about bunnies, eggs, and candies.  I was grateful for such a wonderful visual reminder to what I was trying to share with them.  The paintings are so beautiful and I was deeply touched.  I am pilfering all the following images from the BYU website.  Check it out here.

The Doubting Thomas 1881

Christ and the Young Child  1873

Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda  1883

Christ in Gethsemane  1879

Christus Consolator  1884





No comments:

Post a Comment