Friday, December 31, 2010

A Culinary Catastophe

It is Mikayla's birthday today.  We gathered to celebrate yesterday, and I volunteered to make cake.  Mikayla wanted a vanilla cake, I didn't have a cake mix, so I decided to make a cake from scratch.  I made adjustments for high altitude, prepped my cake pans, and had a vision of a swirly-frosted, lily (Mikayla's favorite flowers) decorated cake.

Then it all went to hell.  When I tried to remove the cake from the pans to cool, they stuck to the bottom.  I got one layer out alright, but the other broke in half as it came out of the pan.  I felt like I could still recover by sort of piecing it back together with frosting, and left both halves cooling on the counter before frosting.

Shortly before I needed to frost, Brandt needed my assistance in the bathroom (we are really working on the potty training this week), and Blythe was left to her own devices downstairs.  She pulled a chair over to the counter and ate several large chucks of cake, from the better of the two halves.  This is what I ended up with to frost.

The right side looks fine, but that is the round that was broken in half.
The one on the left has been Blythe damaged.

It went from bad to worse.  The frosting was a nightmare.  The cake was super crumbly, erosive even.  It just kept disintegrating as I tried to get it put together.  



All hope of having a beautiful cake for Mikayla was lost.  I even called the local grocery store to see if they had one I could pick up.  Kent thought I should just take what I had, even if it looked ridiculous, because we could all do with a laugh and it would make a much better story.  So this is what I presented to Mikayla as her birthday cake.

 
Half demolished cake, before any had even been eaten.
Looks awful, bit it tasted alright.
On the plus side, I'll probably never be asked to bring the cake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment