Monday, July 17, 2023

Brandt Leaves for Ecuador

I have seen on Instagram and heard reports from several of the youth in our ward who have gone on HXP, a humanitarian type of FSY. They have gone to a third world country for several weeks and helped build a school or some other thing for a community while also doing interesting things on the weekends and always making a temple visit. I have very much wanted for our children to be able to do that and this year I suggested to Brant that he apply. 

We were actually very late to the application process. I saw posted on Instagram one of my neighbors going with her son to Argentina and she was so excited and said, "We got our first choice!" I thought, 'Oh no! We've missed the opportunity to apply!' But I got right on to the internet and discovered that there was still time, not all the spots were filled, and there were plenty of choices. I sat down with Brandt; we talked about all the options, and I had him select destinations where he might like to go. He wanted to go someplace where there was beach to have a beachy experience and put in his request for a number of those places. We then got word the next day or two that he was selected to go to Ecuador. The extra trip when you go to Ecuador is to go to the Galapagos Islands. How cool is that?! Super cool!

We began making lots of preparations. We began looking at the packing list and seeing what Brandt needed to take. He had to have a doctor's exam and we had to get his passport. As we were also planning on going to Montreal, we all got our passports in January. We shopped for things HXP recommended, purchasing practically everything they suggested. 

Over the past several days, we have been preparing suitcases, putting aside that which he's taking, making piles of clothes and gear and all the things. It was suggested he bring 15 pairs of underwear, three full days of clothing and necessities in his carry-on, and lots of snacks in case he didn't like the food and was hungry. We've gone over his packing list multiple times and have generally tried to be as prepared as possible. Ecuador uses the US Dollar as their currency, so I got Brandt small bills to take with him for mad spending cash.  

Today was the day that Brandt was to leave. Last night we did actual putting of everything into the suitcase to make sure that it would fit and not be too heavy. Everything fit, but we did set aside a couple of things I don't think he'll need (extra snacks) to free up some weight. Everything he needed was in his bags. 

When we flew to and from Montreal last month, we had several travel delays and our flight out of Montreal was completely canceled. We had to make other arrangements and ended up spending an extra night in San Francisco, which wasn't even close to our destination. California is on the west side of the country and Montreal is on the east, so we were certainly closer to home, but the extra day of travel was not a treat. HXP has been explicit in all of their communications that you must make sure to get to the airport well in advance of the time of your international flight. You are to arrive at the departing airport with at least four hours of lead time in case your connecting flight is delayed. 

I was so worried about Brandt making his connection that after we got home from Montreal, I called and moved up his flight one day. He was supposed to leave tomorrow, but I worried that he was going to get stuck somewhere in between and so I flew him out today. HXP has a house in Miami they have rented for the summer that you can reserve for a night so that if your child flies in before they are to fly out, there is some place for them to be. I was able to get a room for him for tonight and I felt so much better about him going. I figured if he was delayed in Dallas, even overnight, he would make his group flight out of Miami.

This morning it all felt very real as we loaded his suitcases into the car to take him to the airport. Kent dropped Brandt and I off at the gate, and we checked his luggage to Miami. I walked with him to security and then I had to leave him. We had downloaded maps of the airports to ensure that he would know where to go, we downloaded the airline app so that he would get notifications about whether things were canceled or delayed, we had done everything that we could to make sure that he was ready. But I was still sending my 17-year-old off into the world alone. I was an emotional wreck. I clung to him as we said goodbye. He clung back. I pretty much fell apart sobbing when he turned the corner to go through security. I walked out of the airport as quickly as I could because I knew I was going to cause a scene if I stayed. I cried until we were halfway home. 


Here is our text exchange.

 



Brandt's flight from Salt Lake to Dallas left on time. I followed along on the app. He texted when he arrived and called after he got off the plane. He had a bit of a lay-over, but he ate some lunch and made it to the next gate. I was calm. Then he texted to say his flight was delayed due to mechanical issues and it might be cancelled. I went into minor panic mode and sent out a question on our neighborhood Google group asking if anyone had contacts in Dallas. I figured if Brandt needed to stay overnight, it would be nice if someone friendly (and adult), who was connected to us in some way, picked him up, kept him for the night, and then got him back to the airport. I was touched when six neighbors said they knew someone, family or friend, who would be happy to step in if necessary. My mama heart was calmed again. 

Fortunately, Brandt's plane did take off, just a little late. Two nice young men were tasked with picking Brandt up at the airport, and they stayed in contact with me, Kent, and Brandt throughout the day. I asked them to run him through a drive-thru somewhere if he was hungry, and they promised they would feed him while he was under their care. They met him at the airport and sent me a picture as proof he was in good hands. Phew!


We spoke to Brandt tonight. He is safely ensconced at the house. There is another young woman who is going on his trip to is also staying there, as well as a couple of other kids going off on adventures. We will be able to talk to him tomorrow, but then, once he boards the plane for Ecuador, we won't be able to talk to him again until he returns. I miss him already but know he will have a wonderful time.

The rest of Brandt's trip will be documented in a separate book.

No comments:

Post a Comment