Saturday, June 19, 2021

We Have a Yard Sale

 

Months ago, Mikayla told me she wanted to have a yard sale during the summer, and if I wanted to join her, that would be great and we should do it in our yard. I agreed, and then began going through our basement to see what I could get rid of. There have been things I've been holding onto, thinking I would use them, and I'm not. And even if I were to use them, it would be when if we finish our basement, and I felt like I could get rid of them. I malleted together a shelf in the basement, then began filling it with things to sell. I also sorted through bookshelves, selected about 200 books to get rid of, too. 

Yesterday, we moved lots and lots of stuff from Mikayla's basement and brought it to our house, then began sorting and setting out all we were going to sell. With Mom, We talked and laughed and reminisced and sweltered in the heat as we sorted children's clothes and blankets. Mikayla went for Swig Pops, frozen fruit juice yumminess that helped cool us down. Kent and Blythe made juice they brought out, and by the early evening, we felt things were ready to go. 

This morning, Heidi Tanner arrived with a car full of stuff she was going to sell, and by the time 8:00am rolled around, we were ready for custom. People came. People bought stuff. I said to everyone who showed up, "Books are on the porch! Don't miss the books!" Mikayla and I lamented that people want to bargain our already low prices even lower, a part of yard-saleing I really don't like. Heidi loves it. We sat in the shade and talked to people, visited with neighbors who came by, and figured out how to scan Venmo sales. Kent talked to two separate groups about a car he is trying to sell for Saneh, and we even saw a Grandview Ward member. We sent Darren to Cafe Rio for lunch for all of us, and at 1:00pm, wrapped up sales. 

In the end, we made $1,200 total, with Heidi making $400, Mikayla making $600, me making $200, and Mom making just enough to cover her lunch and the tax. We had to clean up everything that didn't sell, decide what to do with it all, and put the yard back together. As with all yard sales, I always question whether or not it was worth it. I did have dozens of books on the porch, stuff I returned to the basement, and a trip to DI to make next week. Mikayla has decided to do another sale in a couple of weeks, changing venue and doing it with Eugene and Sharae to see if she can get rid of more stuff. 

Best part about the whole activity? Being with people I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment