Sunday, July 12, 2020

Released


After three years and nine months, I was released as the Relief Society President today. Bishop Ryan Elder and I had talked about my release at the beginning of March, and I anticipated that happening, but then Covid-19 hit, church was suspended, and we were sort of stuck. The stake president did say that changes in callings could go through, but Ryan felt like making a change in the middle of a pandemic and asking someone new to step in without really being able to do anything or receive any training would be too much. He didn't want to have to start working with someone new in the middle of all that we've been dealing with, either. So I have stayed and continued to serve. We were back to reduced church for the first time today, and so the change was made. 

It was with a small sense of relief and a tremendous sense of sadness that I have stepped down. It is hard to be released at the end of a calling that requires much but blesses you so much too. It has been a joy to serve the sisters and ward members at large. I liked everyone before I started, and I leave loving all of them. I especially love the wonderful women who have served faithfully by my side from the beginning. Linda, Barbara, and Andrea have been truly the best. We have laughed together and shared sweet moments. They have done so much and made me look really good. They have blessed me immeasurably; I could not have done it without them. Their support, inspiration, clear thinking, spiritual maturity, and friendship made my job so much easier. I love them all and am grateful that though our time to serve together is at an end, our friendship will last and last. 

Knowing this day was coming and that Andrea was not going to be in town (she and her family are staying in Washington state for the summer), we got together to take the picture above. I wanted one last memento of our presidency. Just today, they reminded us of some of the funny things we shared. 

Linda said, "Working with you gals was a pleasure. Lots of good memories. Le green beans and Mr. Shirley . . . "

Andrea said, "I love you all! A treasured chapter in my book for sure. I went to my niece's graduation party in May and her grandpa (on the other side) is Shirley's brother so they got a good kick out of that story!" 

As a side note, Linda was convinced that Shirley of Shirley's Bakery was actually a man, but he didn't think having a manly name would be good for a bakery, so called it Shirley's. Not true. The woman who started it was named Shirley.

Barbara said, "Thank you Katherine, Linda, and Andrea, for the BEST 3 plus years EVER!!! I have so enjoyed serving with all of you! I accepted this calling to serve, but leave, with each of you being my dear friends! I too will cherish all the fun memories. Yes, who can forget Mr. Shirley, the perfect green beans, and the intense search for a Mandolin/Mandoline. I have loved laughing with you until we all had tears, the long meetings, where we digressed off topic many times, until Andrea put us on a timer. Anyway, hard to believe that the calling has come to an end, but not my love for each of you. To you, Katherine, I think I can speak for all of us, in saying that, you truly have been a PERFECT Relief Society President! It has been an honor to serve with you. Hugs and kisses to all of you! XOXOXO."

Many other people have said such kind things. The bishop became very emotional as he spoke of my service. He said, "You'll never know all that Sister Barrus did behind the scenes. You have heard her, because she's loud, but you have no idea all she has done. She loves you and has served so faithfully." He was emotional and made me cry.

Charles Helquist, who I worked with as bishop for the first two plus years, said, after the meeting had ended, "Thank you. I can't say more because otherwise I'll cry." He was very teary and so was I. Serving with both Charles and Ryan has been uplifting and spiritually confirming to me of the power of the priesthood and the way the Lord works through good men who are trying to do good things. Charles and Ryan lead differently and have different personalities, but they are both righteous and committed to building the kingdom. It has been a privilege to serve with them.

Many others in the ward reached out today. Elizabeth Cutler sent me this email.
Dear Katherine,
Well, I am sure you are relieved, happy, sad, and probably a bit bereft.  But know this, dear Friend, never has anyone served more nobly or capably.  Never have I felt so strongly about anyone’s calling that you were ‘come to the kingdom for such a time as this.'  You saw us through so many changes, topped off with burnings and plague.  You guided and grew us as a ‘teacher come from God.’
If you ever get tired of being the strong one, I am remarkably able to hear what people may stress about without thinking ill of them or those with whom they may be frustrated.  I would love to be there for you as you have been there for all of us, every minute of every day for years.
As you turn your attention a little less ward-wide, may you feel the Lord saying, and all of us sisters echoing, “Well done, good and faithful servant.  Now try and get a little rest.”

With love and admiration,
Elizabeth Cutler
How nice is that?

Todd Seamons sent me a text and said, "Katherine, with tremendous emotion the Bishop asked for a vote of appreciation for the service you have offered to all of us as our RS President. And with equal emotion we each raised our hand. I wish you could have been in all 3 meetings to feel the love and admiration we feel for you. Thank you for your kindness and love that you have given so freely.  We are all blessed because of you and the way you have magnified your calling. Thank you my dear friend! We love you."

Kathryn, Todd's good wife, also sent me a text. She said, "Dear Katherine, I am so grateful for you and the remendous example you have been to me. Thank you for serving with all your heart, might, mind and strength. You are a woman who has charity and my life has been greatly blessed as you have served me and our ward in Relief Society. I love you dearly. Please know of my great appreciation for you."

Kerrie Thornock said, "Thank you for your service as RS President!! You served and loved with all your heart and it was felt by all!"

Shelly Whitney texted and said, "WOW!! Congratulations!! Bishop was very emotional sharing your release news! He needed a moment! It was very sweet! Can't wait to see where you shine coming up! Loves to you!"

McKenzie Drake said, "Well done for many years of thoughtful service. We think you're wonderful! Enjoy your well-deserved restful Sunday!"

Mike Phillips texted from their meeting and said, "You are da bomb. We love you." Becky followed that up with, "Oh my goodness. All the service and love you've given! Thank you so much. Sure love you."

Sandralee Jensen texted, "I just saw that you'd been released as the RS President and wanted you to know how much I appreciated your time and service. I also love your unique flair and sparkle that inspires 'I can', 'we can do it' kind of attitude."

Stephanie Magleby said, "You have been a blessing in my life, and a wonderful, caring, conscientious Relief Society President. I hope that you feel light as a feather for at least a few days!"

I got a wonderful text from Natalie Bean who is always incredibly thoughtful about most everything. She said, "Hello Katherine! I just learned of the changes in the RS that were shared in Sunday meetings. I just want to tell you how grateful I am for your service. it was truly a blessing to enter the ward under your watch. You have had an impact for good on my life. And have been another delightful human being I have been grateful to 'add to my collection.' (Did I ever tell you that I 'collect sisters'?) I'm not sure we would've been able to share so much so quickly, without your calling. One of my favorite memories will always be our escapade exchanging cereal in the moonlight. Not many in life, I imagine, can say they've done that. You are a good soul. And you are fun. And you inspire confidence. Thank you again. And all the best in weathering yet another transition. Sending love and care."

Pauli Bergevin brought over tasty cupcakes, and Kerrie Thornock brought over cookies, each with little thank you notes.

As the Relief Society President, I have felt loved and supported and strengthened by the prayers of fellow ward members. In turn, I will try and support and love our new presidency. I have passed the torch to the very capable Hilary Davis, with counselors Jill Connelly, Marianne Davis, and secretary Dakin Stovall. They will be wonderful. I'm confident they will go forward without missing a beat, and I fully, wholeheartedly support them.

 
Member Tools
before and after sync





No comments:

Post a Comment