Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Back At It

After six weeks of paid furlough (what a blessing!), I was back at work today.  We were only a few back, supervisors, and then not even all of them.  I was one of the lucky ones who was allowed to come into the office for "work," though there was little for us to do.  We couldn't access the computer system, so I spent most of the day listening to and reading through trainings.  It's hard to spend eight hours sitting at a desk reading, or listening to someone else read, dry government manuals.  At one point, mid-module about training, this screen popped up.


Apparently, it's up to me to create a safe, fun, and engaging learning environment.  I wish it was up to the government to creature a fun and engaging learning environment, but I suppose that's probably asking WAY too much.  Around 2:30, I was falling asleep at my desk.  As I was listening to someone drone on during a module, I thought, 'I'll just close my eyes for a second while I listen to this person speak,' then realized that was totally inappropriate!  I was at work.  I needed to be alert.  I may buy a pack of something caffeinated, just to get me through the afternoons.

On the job front, I've been offered a promotion.  Mark Henscheid, one of the Recuiting Managers, is resigning.  He and Lain Geest, the other RM, in consultation with Alan Clark (Admin Manager) and Tyler Tarter (Area Census Office Manager), felt like I would be the best person to take Mark's place.  It will mean I'll work 8:00-4:30, Monday through Friday (no more working on Saturdays), and I'll get a significant raise, from $19/hour to $26.50/hour.  

This is such a tremendous blessing!  I was so delighted when Mark called to talk to me about it, and felt so incredibly blessed.  God is watching over us.  In January, I read a book called The Heavens Are Open, written by Wendy Nelson, the Prophet's wife.  It was a quick read, but so inspiring.  She talked about prayer and asking God for things.  Before she and then Elder Nelson were married, still engaged and not telling the public at large, Sister Nelson was out looking for a new home.  She was looking with a friend so as to not draw attention to the fact that she and Elder Nelson were looking for a house together.  They went through a lovely house that met their needs, and the friend asked, "Should we pray about this one?"  Sister Nelson agreed they should, and the friend prayed.  She thanked God for the chance to be looking with Sister Nelson, said the house seemed to be good and would suit them, but then asked, if it was possible, that they find something better.  Sister Nelson was struck by her friend's request for something better.  Can you ask the Lord for something better? she wondered.  

Sister Nelson then recounted an experience of Joseph Smith.  He came to a meal and they were having johnny cakes, which is essentially cornbread.  He thanked the Lord for the johnny cakes, but then asked the Lord to send them something better.  Within moments, a man appeared at the door with flour and a ham.  Definitely something better.  Taking this example to heart, I've been very grateful to God for my job.  I regularly thank Him that I can work and provide an income for our family.  But at the same time, I'm also asking for something better.  I've been applying for jobs, trying to do my part, but didn't see a promotion at the Census as a possibility.  Yet here I am, still in the same place, with something better.  

The Lord is good.  Work is good.  Work is not always fun and engaging, but it is good, and I'm back at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment