Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Altruistic Self-Benefit

I know. I know. Altruistic and self-benefiting are opposites, but today we did an act of service that benefits others as well as myself. I shall explain.

Maureen Ogles and I bike several days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday), and most of those days, we bike to south Provo and along Lakeshore Parkway, a road that goes from the freeway to the Provo airport. There is a path that runs along the road, making for lovely biking; we don't have to worry about being in traffic. Yesterday, we found a rather large stretch of the path strewn with rocks; big enough rocks to make us worry about popping a tire. We got off our bikes, moved to the road, and biked past that section on the road. We then stopped again, got back on the trail, and continued on. It was easily 100 yards long. I have no idea how all the rocks got on the trail, but it was a problem.

This morning, same thing.

I don't want to have to get off my bike again, so today, I took the children down to the trail for a bit of a service project. We took our flat-nosed shovel and some brooms, and we cleared the rocks off of the trail. It didn't take super long and it wasn't super hard. The kids worked well and without complaint, and by the time we were finished, I felt super good about our efforts. I shall bike freely tomorrow.


Cleaned off trail in both directions.


No comments:

Post a Comment