Sunday, April 5, 2020

My Testimony

We have just finished a marvelous General Conference.  As a Church, we are celebrating the 200th anniversary of the First Vision and the beginning of the Restoration of Christ's church.  Over the past six months, Kent and I read the Doctrine and Covenants together, and we've studied Joseph's accounts of the First Vision.  Covid-19 prevented the conference from being held as normal, with only the sessions' speakers in attendance in a small meeting room in the Conference Center.  But the messages were tremendous and focused on increasing our faith, personal preparation, and ability to receive personal revelation.  It was just what we needed in the face of trials individual, as a couple, and globally with the pandemic.  I was reassured that the Lord is with us, that He will guide us, and that we can Hear Him.  The First Presidency and Twelve Apostles issued a new Declaration to the world about the Restoration.  When The Family: A Proclamation to the World was issued in 1995, I thought to myself, 'I'm not sure why they felt they needed to say any of this. This is all obvious stuff.'  Kent and I both agreed that we will need to read this new declaration again and again because it doesn't really seem necessary.  But in 1995, The Family didn't seem necessary either, and within the last decade, it has become increasingly obvious why it was needed.  I sustain the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve as prophets, seers, and revelators, and I imagine there might come a time when all that is in this new declaration will be clearly needed.  We will study that next.

President Nelson has made it a thing to announce new temples at the end of General Conference.  President Monson always did it first thing in his opening welcome to conference.  But President Nelson holds off, almost saving the best for last.  Today he announced eight new temples, one to built in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and another to be built in Shanghai, China.  When President Nelson said, "Dubai," Kent and I both began to weep, but then he said, "Shanghai, China" and we both burst into real tears.  We were stunned!  President Nelson said that the Church's legal status in China will not change, and we won't be sending in proselyting missionaries.  But with the renovations happening to the Hong Kong Temple, the temple in Shanghai will be "a modest multipurpose meeting place [that] will provide a way for Chinese members to continue to participate in ordinances of the temple — in the People’s Republic of China — for them and their ancestors."  It's astounding.  Wonderful and astounding.  

I know that the Lord lives and loves us.  I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.  I know that his atonement allows me to repent, provides comfort and assurance, and can succor my fears, disappointments, and the unfairness of life experience.  I know Joseph Smith is a prophet.  I know Russell Nelson is a prophet.  I know The Book of Mormon is true.  I know we can hear the voice of the Lord through the words of prophets ancient and modern.  I know the priesthood is the authority needed to perform saving ordinances in the temples of God.  I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is the way back to our Father in Heaven.  I want to stay firmly on the covenant path that will lead me back to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment