Saturday, June 3, 2017

Little Red Riding Hood 2017

It was another fantastic Little Red year.  I've been training with friends, getting some really great riding in. I've been riding with Janie Rasmussen, Angela Richards, Maureen Ogles, and Stephanie and Spencer Magleby.  We've been north and south and I've felt fit and ready to ride.  Well, mostly ready.  Janie has been keen on riding further than 50 miles, and I've been a bit concerned about whether I was ready.  But we've been riding strong and fast, and together I figured we would be fine.

This year I rode up with Spencer and Stephanie, and Angela Richards.  Spencer decided to come along because we had enough rooms that they could have of their own, and he was going to be the bike boy.  He made sure bikes were secure, tires were pumped, gears were adjusted, and we were well supported. 

We all wanted to go to the expo, so while we didn't eat there, we did drive out to Lewiston to shop.  There was a break in the chain link fence and we ducked through it to go into the park.  There was a small wire about an inch off the ground that I caught with my sandal, and I went down hard on both knees and my right wrist.  I was in great pain!  This on the heels of my ridiculous neck injury Thursday ice blocking.  I didn't break anything, but it was very badly bruised and began swelling almost immediately.  We walked around the expo and bought cute stuff, but I was hurting.  I put ice on my right knee (the one that took the brunt of the force of the fall), and prayed that I would be able to bike on Saturday.


We woke to a beautiful day after a rough night's sleep.  Angela was a fine bedfellow, but the air conditioning sounded like it was trying to blast off into the sky every time it came on, so I would just get to sleep when it would kick on again and unsettle me.  My knees were still sore, but I took lots of ibuprofr\en before we started and extra for the road, and off we went.  Spencer drove us out and dropped us off, making our start very slick.  We didn't have to worry about parking.  He went off to ride outside Logan and would meet us at the end. 

 Me, Jessica, Jen, Stephanie, Janie, Angela



In addition to Janie, Angela, and Stephanie, I rode with Jessica Johnson and Jen Hodnett, friends of Janie's who I've biked with before.  Six of us was a good group, we've biked together lots, and we were confident in our drafting.  We passed lots of other bikers, and were able to maintain an average speed of almost 20.  We rode and rode, talking and enjoying the scenery along the way.  Lunch was at mile 58, and by the time we got there, I was ready for a break.  We had to climb several hills to get to the lunch stop, and climbing put a significant strain on my knees.  However, once we'd had lunch, more ibuprofen, and reapplied chamois butter, I was ready for the last push, the big finish.  We only had 12 miles to go, and at the rate we were riding, that was only about 45 minutes. 

When we had only two miles to go, the largely perfect day was ruined.  I was pulling at the front, and someone in the back yelled up that my turn was over and I should drop back.  As I moved to the left, Jessica who was riding behind me, touched my back wheel.  While I felt it, it didn't even really slow me down.  But it caused her to lose control.  I heard her gasp and turned to see her crash hard to the ground.  She tucked her head which was good because although Jen, who was riding behind her, was able to get out of the way, Janie who was riding in fourth place, was not, and rode into her.  Janie flipped over Jessica and came down on the pavement on her elbow.  Angela and Stephanie were able to get out of the way, too, but Jessica and Janie were in a bad way. 

I leapt off my bike and called 911, but when I was asked where we were, I had no real idea.  On the road next to a field of barley wasn't much of a description.  Fortunately a SAG vehicle arrived while I was still on the phone and gave me a better idea of where we were.  The dispatcher sent out the ambulance and a sheriff arrived shortly thereafter.  Fortunately, Janie's husband Ty and her boys were at the end waiting for us.  Janie had a baby eleven weeks ago and she is still nursing.  She took care of the baby at lunch, and Ty was close.  Jen called him to come meet us, so he was there to offer support.  The ambulance that initially arrived was staffed by volunteers who didn't really know what they were doing.  They were sincere in their desire to help, but they weren't really able to administer the sort of help Janie really needed or wanted.  A woman wanted to splint Janie's arm, but she didn't really want them messing with it.  It was half an hour or more before the real paramedics showed up to transport her to the hospital.

Janie on the road.



The four of us not involved in the crash finished up the ride; two miles.  We were so close to the end. 

Jessica was badly bruised on her right thigh and had road rash on her shoulder and arm.  She had whacked her head and was a bit swimmy, but she didn't have to go to the hospital.  After Janie was taken away in the ambulance, Ty took Jessica to the end where Spencer met her and got her to first aid.  They bandaged her up.  She had driven up this morning but was in no condition to drive herself home.  Spencer loaded her bike and Jen's, and Jen drove Jessica home.  I texted them later and Jessica reported she was feeling better in the head, but sore all over everywhere else.

Janie went to the ER for x-rays.  Her elbow is broken and will require surgery.  Noah wasn't happy about being with anyone but Ty, and Fischer wasn't thrilled about being in his car seat, but Stephanie, Angela, and I were able to help with the children, and Spencer helped Ty give Janie a blessing after we met them at the hospital.  We helped load them up and sent them on their way, stopped for a burger for dinner, and drove home.  I didn't get back until nearly 9:00pm.

Apart from the crash, it was a fantastic day.  I don't think it will stop Janie from biking, but it will certainly slow her down for a while.  Here's to safe biking with friends.


Post posting:  Janie had surgery on Monday and will not be able to lift anything, like her children, for six weeks.  Of all of us riding, she was the worst one it could have happened to.  Jessica had a hematoma the size of a cantaloup on her thigh which remined, though smaller, for weeks afterwards.

When I was recounting our ride to a couple in our ward and said that we were drafting, riding in a pelaton, he said, "You aren't professionals, you know!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment