Friday, November 20, 2015

Field Trip Friday #47--Norman Rockwell

The BYU Museum of Art opened a new exhibit today of Normal Rockwell work.  I have been looking forward to going to see it, and I thought the children would really like it.  We went today for Field Trip Friday, and in an effort to be kind and inclusive, we took Izaiah Wilson with us, too, and Grandma Sue met us from work.  

The exhibit is incredibly well done.  The museum presented a short video of Rockwell's life, and have a very large selection of his work on display, some wonderfully funny and some politically charged pieces.  There are also many (maybe all?) of the cover illustrations he did for The Saturday Evening Post.  I wished, in hindsight, that we hadn't brought Izaiah because he is a bit wild and sort of led my kids astray.  Normally Brandt and Blythe are very good in museums and will walk around with me, but today they were all over, lying on benches, racing around.  Although I had talked to them about proper museum behavior on our way, Izaiah is not accustomed to doing that sort of thing, and it didn't go as well as I hoped.  I loved looking at Rockwell's people.  They seem so alive and full of movement, even though they are only painted/drawn.  I will return again, without the children, so I can spend a bit more time.  But I'm glad that I took them and hope they liked some of what they saw.

I wanted a picture of the kids in front of a wall of cover illustrations,
but I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the art.
So here they are at the entrance, 
and here are examples of what we saw in the exhibit that I've pilfered from the internet.

"The Art Critic"

"Day in the Life of a Little Girl"

"No Swimming"

"The Problem We All Live With"
Ruby Bridges headed to school

"Triple Self-Portrait"

No comments:

Post a Comment