Saturday, August 15, 2015

Relief Society Retreat

This weekend was the second annual Pleasant View 6th Ward Relief Society Retreat at Heber Valley Camp.  I had a great time last year, and it turns out, this year was no different.  It was so fun and I enjoyed being at camp with so many of the wonderful women in my ward.

Friday evening Gregg and Linda Pugmire made dinner for us all in dutch ovens.  They did dutch oven chicken and then various cobblers/cakes.  As it was warming up, we stood around and talked and talked and laughed and laughed.  As we ate--so, so, so, so delicious food! I had two full plates of dinner and then was uncomfortable for the rest of the night because my pants were too tight--Gregg taught us how to use a dutch oven.  There is something about eating in the mountains that makes everything taste better, and the chicken was no exception.  

After dinner, Kathy Anderson gave an eveningside message about friendship.  It was delightful.  Kathy is great and had us all laughing.  Then we visited more as we ate cobbler and ice cream.  Some of those who came up for dinner went home, but others stayed and sat around the campfire as we talked and laughed some more.  Others left as it got late, and we ended up being only nine sleeping over.  Janie and I kept others awake with our snoring, even though I handed out ear plugs.  Janice Davis, who is nearing 90 years old if she isn't already there, slept over.  She brought two oxygen bottles with her.  When I woke up, I was wasn't sure she was breathing.  I watched her for a minute or more, trying to see signs of life.  She must have felt my eyes on her because she stirred just a moment after I looked away.  I was glad she didn't expire on the camp out.  

In the morning, we breakfasted on muffins, fruit, and yogurt, then hiked to lookout point.  It was amazingly beautiful, we saw a mother deer and her fawn, and we talked and talked and laughed and laughed some more.  It was great to be without children for a bit, and to connect with my sisters in Zion.  As Angela Richards was making the announcement about the retreat last Sunday, she slipped up and said that we were starting on Thursday and then coming home on Sunday.  I'm all for it.  Here's to a longer weekend next year!

Jill Connelly, Ruth Jensen, Janie Rasmussen, Melissa Smith, me, 
McKenzie Drake, Briahna Bushman and Michelle Moreland.

No comments:

Post a Comment