Saturday, December 21, 2013

Temple Square

One of the guys who works for Kent, AJ, got married today.  His reception was in south Salt Lake, and as we were going to the reception, I suggested to Kent we make an evening of it by going to see the lights at Temple Square, getting some dinner, and then going to the reception.  Bryan works for Kent too and knows AJ, so we invited him, Missy, and Donovan to accompany us.  We took my mom's car so we would all fit and had an adventure.

We left just after 4:00pm, and about American Fork, from the very back, Brandt called out, "Mom, I'm really hungry.  When are we getting off the freeway for dinner?"  We told him we had to wait for a bit, and I went into distraction mode.  I put in a CD of Christmas "car-i-oke" music, complete with sing-along word booklets.  We sang, even Donovan.  In fact, he sang lots and lots.  He especially liked "We wish you a Merry Christmas" mostly because he can say "Merry Christmas."

Donovan singing.
He sang and sang and sang and sang.
For a really long time.
Always "We wish you a Merry Christmas."

When we tired of singing, I pulled out my stash of Christmas stories and read Turkey Claus and Santa Duck, both gripping tales of animals dressed like Santa Claus.  After the singing and before the reading Blythe asked, "Mom, how much longer until we get there?"

"Five stories," I replied.  It only took three.

We stopped for dinner at a Thai restaurant.  Donovan wasn't happy about having to sit, but the children did eat well and ours were well behaved.  I realized and acknowledged to myself that our children are getting easier, especially when compared to a two year old.

Kent was not really interested in seeing the lights, so when we got to Temple Square, we all piled out of the car on the north side and Kent said he would circle the block a time or two and meet us on the south side.

This was a good plan on both fronts.  We were not the only people who had the idea to go to Temple Square tonight, there were masses of bundled up people, and the crowds were fairly overwhelming.  None of us over eight wanted to linger and I think we were all worried about losing our children.  The children were glad to be out of the car and were interested in the lights, but they were all quickly cold, so they didn't want to spend much time either.  We walked through Temple Square fairly quickly, stopping to take a few pictures, we circled the reflecting pool, and then I was calling Kent to say we were headed for the car.  Because of the masses of people, he had been able to circle the block exactly one time and was waiting in a short-term parking spot in front of the Joseph Smith Building, right where we were going to exit.  He waited for us approximately five minutes.  We happily piled back into the warm car and went on our way.

Katherine, Donovan, Bryan, Missy
Brandt, Blythe 

I absolutely love this enormous, red-lit tree.  
I want one in my yard which could happen if I was willing to spend the money.
I'm not.

 

 



We made a brief stop at the wedding reception.  We were all a bit put out that they only had hot chocolate and s'more parts as a treat, and not even a way to toast the marshmallows and make them gooey.  There was no cake.  When we go to a wedding, we want wedding cake.  Both children, separately, said to me, "Where's the cake?"  Indeed.  The children fell asleep on the way home, tired but happy (I think) with the evening's activities.  I know I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment