Friday, December 20, 2013

Adults Only

This evening Kent and I gathered with my mom and all my siblings and their spouses for an adults only dinner.  My mom likes to have roast beast, Yorkshire pudding, and mashed potatoes at Christmas time, and we all like to gather without the children so we can talk and eat without the interruptions children inevitably bring.  It was so nice to be all together.  I think we haven't all been together since my dad's death, and it was nice to feel complete.  Well, we were missing Dad, so it wasn't entirely complete, and whenever we gather his absence is keenly felt.  But we were all there.  Dinner was delicious, the conversation was amusing, and it was so quiet.  Brick and Rowen were both there because they are little, but neither of them makes much noise and neither of them run through the house shrieking like banshees.

As we were all together, I wanted a picture to mark the occasion.  It took several tries to get a good shot without anyone's head blocked, and there was a bit of grousing.  However, after dinner we were sitting around the table looking at pictures of our Italian ancestors, and I pointed out to my siblings that I hope our kids and grandkids will sit around a table some evening looking at pictures of us, and I wanted this to be a good one.  I think we succeeded and have a great reminder of a lovely evening together.

Top row: Missy, Tysen, Sharae, Mikayla, Katherine
Bottom row: Bryan, Christopher, Sue, Eugene, Guy, Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment