Monday, July 15, 2013

Happy Birthday to Dad

Today is my dad's birthday.  He would have been 65 today.  Uncle Charles came into town today for a two day visit, and we all gathered to celebrate Dad's birthday.  We went to lunch, then all went up to the cemetery to see Dad's headstone.  Uncle Charles was last here for Dad's funeral, so he hadn't seen the stone.  It was a touching moment.  While we stood around and cried and chatted about Dad, the children all played in the giant sand pile.  My kids love going up to the cemetery and will sometimes ask if we can go up and play, and if I feel like I won't cry and cry too much, we will go.

After our cemetery visit, we all went and swam and then barbecued.  It was fun to catch up with Charles, to laugh and talk.  And it was so fun to be together in the pool.  Dad loved that, and it was nice to be doing something he loved so much on his happy day.  The children all showed off their excellent swimming skills, including Blythe who had a breakthrough two weeks ago.  She can now swim comfortably without floaties. She moves through the water, she breathes, and she leaps unafraid into the deep end.  Last year, every time we swam, and we swam a lot, I would dream that night that Blythe was drowning.  Since she began swimming, I have not had the drowning dream.  I'm so grateful.  I wanted this to be the year they were both swimming, and it is.

Happy birthday dad.  I miss you.  


Fancy jumping off the diving board





Jumping off the trampoline.
She splashes down and then swims away from me over to the side--all by herself!


Brandt's fancy jumping off the tramp.
He is one cool dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment