Sunday, June 24, 2012

Little Red Riding Hood

Back at the beginning of June, I rode through Cache Valley as part of Little Red Riding Hood, the all women, non-competitive bike ride I do every year.  This was my seventh year and I enjoyed it, as always.  Kent is good to wrangle the children while I go to Logan on Friday night, stay over, bike on Saturday, and return in the late afternoon.  This is such a well put together ride--the food is great, the volunteers are stupendous, the route is fantastic. 

I rode with my friend Eva Fisher and we had a marvelous time.  It was just fun to be on the bike, to talk and laugh.  In years past, I have biked with my friend Lisa Christensen, but this year, she was unable to come.  She is undergoing chemo for breast cancer, the very disease Little Red raises money to fight.  I felt her absence keenly and thought about her as we rode.  I hope she'll be with me next year.

In the last two miles, I got not one, not two, but three flat tires.  I changed the first two without problem, but by the third, we had run out of tubes, and I was somewhat frustrated.  I could see the finish line probably half a mile away and I told Eva I would just walk to the finish.  She encouraged me to just ride slowly and finish on the bike, which is what I did.  I already look forward to next year.

  


Changing the first flat tire. 


 
Changing the second flat.  
We ran out of tubes so I didn't change the third.

No comments:

Post a Comment