Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Bit More Memorial Day

In keeping with tradition, and in the company of my mom, Aunt Georgianne, and Mikayla, the children and I made a trip to Eureka and Goshen to decorate graves.  My great-grandparents, Grandma Hare's parents, are in Eureka, and Grandma Hare's brother and his wife are in Goshen.

I love the Eureka cemetery.  It is barren, dry, and wind-swept, but I love it.  It feels full of history, a place where things once happened but don't anymore.  And although it is a cemetery, because I am far enough removed from my great-grandparents and didn't know them in this life, it isn't really a place of sadness for me.  I just find it really interesting.  I wonder about the lives led by those who are buried there; Who did they love? How did they live?  Were they happy?  Was life really difficult?  I like going there on our annual pilgrimage, and I hope the children come to like it, too.  They certainly enjoyed running around, although it was so windy this year we could hardly be out of the car.





Being a Grecian urn.

That cross says, "Big Deal."
What?






This is a huge dead snake I saw on the side of the road.
Poor thing wasn't moving fast enough.
Probably slowed down by the meal it was digesting (see the lump in the middle?).
Brandt thought this was totally cool.
Blythe not so much. 

In addition to our jaunt to Eureka, this year we went to Tooele and Erda.  We went out for a Memorial Day picnic with Kent's cousins and several aunts and uncles.  The big draw for Brandt, however, was that we were going to Grandpa Droubay's farm.  Brandt loves Grandpa Droubay and was so excited to see where he lived and worked.  And we got to go his grave, too.  

Brandt DeMartini and Blythe Isabella Barrus standing with
John R. and Annie Shields Droubay 





When we got to the farm, Brandt was almost completely uninterested in picnicking, but totally interested in all the farm equipment and vehicles littering the "yard."  There was a tractor, a firetruck, a motor home, a baler, a semi, and a tanker.



Inside the motor home.


Cousin Lydia joining in the fun


Kent's cousin Leann and her husband Ivan live in Grandpa Droubay's house.
They have a tractor. 
Ivan was good enough to let both children have a turn driving and operating it.
How cool is that?






It was a marvelous day on Grandpa Droubay's farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment