Monday, May 7, 2012

Fun Run

Every year, Rock Canyon has a fun run at the beginning of May, a 5K race that the whole school runs together.  In April we were to be working on completing a marathon in a month, but Brandt was totally indifferent and unwilling to run a bit each day.  In years past, the kindergarten has not participated in the fun run, but this year they were able to, and Kent and I were able to convince Brandt that he should participate.  I told him I would come to school and stay with him for the whole race.  I told him we would go at his pace, whatever that was.

There was great excitement in the air at the beginning of the race, and when the gun fired to indicate the start, Brandt took off at a rapid pace.  We didn't make it far before he was ready to walk, and we pretty much walked the rest of the way.  I found myself wanting him to run more than he wanted, the competitive part of me looking at the other children around us and thinking, 'Brandt can beat them.'  I had to remind myself that it was a beautiful day, I loved my boy, and I was happy to be with him.  I told Brandt all that--how much I enjoyed being with him, walking hand in hand, warmed by the sun and participating with the rest of the school in a fun activity.  Brandt was happy to walk, unconcerned about who was passing us, and so I didn't worry about it either.  It was wonderful to be with him.

The school children lined up at the start, ready to run.

Brandt is doing some pre-race stretching.
He said to me, "Say, 'Ready, get set, go!'"

The pandemonium as the race began.


Our neighbor took these pictures of us during the race.
We are not moving fast.

Here we are approaching the finish line.
Brandt looks sort of warped because I was taking the picture with my camera and I was at a funny angle.
He was in no hurry to get to the end.

 
Not that it matters, because it doesn't.
I might not even include these pictures in the blog book at the end of the year.
But Brandt was number 503 out of 551 students.
Did I mention that we didn't move very fast?
And how that doesn't even matter?

1 comment:

  1. Wow this kids are really awesome. Fun run activity is really an enjoying one.

    ReplyDelete