Tuesday, May 15, 2012

End of Year Activities

While looking at pictures, I realized that there are three activities we have done at school that I wanted to blog about.  I suppose I should say, "three activities Brandt has done at school," but as I was there, I guess I'll stick with "we."

The kindergarten had a field trip to the BYU dinosaur museum, and I went along as a chaperone.  I was responsible for Brandt and four other boys.  They were keen to lead out, so we led the class as we walked.  At the museum, as we walked around and read the information plaques, we were to come up with three interesting facts that our group could share with the class.  We were to try and find three interesting facts other groups didn't find, so we were to be sort of secret.  A paleontologist spoke to us initially, then we got to wander around.  

One of our three interesting facts was about coprolites.  Coprolites are fossilized poop.  My five boys thought fossilized poop was super funny and insisted that be one of their interesting facts.  None of the other groups had anything to say about poop.

The two kindergarten classes.
Brandt is in the background, sitting next to the rope in the white t-shirt.  

Dr. Steele, the paleontologist.
These were all the pictures I got.
I found myself frantically trying to keep the five boys together-ish.

The second activity was the Un-birthday party for all the children in kindergarten whose birthdays fall during the summer months.  I sort of feel like they got short changed a bit, but I am going to let it go.  When I asked Brandt what he wanted me to bring as his treat, he said, "Gum."  So I bought 25 packages of gum.  Brandt and Blythe both ate all their gum in the same afternoon.  Brandt got a birthday crown which he wore around most of the afternoon, and which I am going to save in a cupboard until his actual birthday.  I hope I remember where I put it.

The Un-birthday-ers.
Mrs. Bigelow, Brandt, Joseph, Britton, Natalie, Sophie, Calvin, Morgan


Handing out gum.
Blythe is having a pout because she wants gum but has to wait until all the classmates have received theirs.
She is dying to be in school too.

Our third end of school year activity is perhaps our favorite school activity of the whole year--the Rock Canyon Extravaganza.  This is the PTA fund raiser for the year.  There are activities, games, food, and more fun than we could stand.  It was fantastic and we have been anxiously waiting for weeks.  

I volunteered to work one of the games for an hour, and Brandt was super excited to help.  In many situations, Brandt is very shy and does not want to be the center of attention.  In others, however, Brandt opens up and performs.  The Extravaganza was an example of the latter.  I was assigned to work the coin toss game, and Brandt wanted to help.  Blythe came and stood with us too, although she didn't really want to be there.  She wanted to be elsewhere less.  Brandt stood at the edge of our game and called out to people, "Hey! Come play our game! Toss the coin!  Only one ticket!"  He was very responsible in crossing off players' tickets, and was incredibly confident as he interacted with other kids.  His buddy reader came to our booth and Brandt said, "Hey dude! Look Mom.  It's my buddy reader."  We were there about 40 minutes before we were relieved, and Brandt was totally into it the whole time.

Our Carnie Hawker

Blythe had her face painted, we rode the train and did the bounce house, and then had a spot of dinner.  I purchased a bin filled with art supplies, and we shot off rockets.  We visited with neighbors, ate too much junk, and generally had a good time. 

Normally Kent is with us.  This year, however, one of his cousin's daughter got married, so he went with Lee  to Erda.  In the afternoon, Blythe asked when Kent would be home, and I had to report that it would be late, after she was in bed.  She asked where he was going, then where we were going, and when I told her we were going to the Extravaganza, she said, "We are going to have way more fun than he is."  That is certainly true.  We did have lots of fun.

Blythe having her face painted.



I tried to get a picture of the three of us on the train.
Above, my head is cut off.
Below, the children's heads are cut off. 

This is a large climbing slide.  
Both children climbed, but only Brandt slid down.  Blythe got to the top of the slide and would not come down.  She sat up there crying and wanting to go back the other way, holding up others climbing up.  I put Brandt back into the slide to climb up and help her down, but she wouldn't go down with him.  She sat up there shrieking.  Two girls in our ward came along and I encouraged her to go with them, but she wouldn't do that either.  Finally, a bigger boy appeared and I asked him to just pull her down.  He was big enough to haul her down, and upon getting to the bottom, she was fine.  I guess it looked scarier than it actually was.

Rocket launching. 

Rocket chasing. 

 
On the train again.
We rode twice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment