Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Miss B is Three

Sunday was Blythe's birthday.  She is now officially three.  We all sang to her first thing in the morning, just after she woke up, and then we all hastened to church.  As we walked into the chapel, Blythe said to everyone we passed, "I'm three," and held up three fingers.  All the older people in our ward who sit at the back of the chapel like watching my children during church because they (the children) provide such consistent entertainment.  After one particularly difficult meeting, an older woman, a friend of mine from book group, said to me, "Katherine, I enjoy your children so much during sacrament meeting."

I replied, "You're the only one."
She quickly countered, "Oh no I'm not."  Apparently many people find them amusing.

But I digress.  I was talking about Blythe and her big day.  She turned three.  Throughout church she told everyone she met that it was her birthday and she was three.  One of my Primary counselors, Christine, has the same birthday, so when Blythe came into the Primary room at the end of our meetings, Christine said, "Happy birthday, Blythe!"
I whispered to Blythe, "Tell Christine happy birthday too, because it is her birthday."  Blythe somewhat shyly said, "Happy birthday," but perked right up when Christine asked if she was getting presents and having cake.

Blythe did get presents, and she did get cake.  When we got home from church, she got to open the three presents we got for her: pink nail polish, big Tarzan, and princess dress ups.  For my birthday I went for a pedicure and Blythe has said to me multiple times, "Mom, I love your red toenails."  I got her polish in a sweet pink, just right for little girls.

Big Tarzan is the original Disney animated movie.  For Christmas, our Brinkerhoff cousins got us Tarzan II, when Tarzan is just a boy.  Blythe LOVES it.  Really.  She is absolutely enamored of the movie and tells everyone all about it, especially the part about the Zugor, an ape that scares other animals so he will be left alone.  My good friend Heidi has the original Tarzan and let us borrow it, but Blythe has told me we need our own copy.  So she got Tarzan.

While you might think that the girl that loves Tarzan would be a tomboy, Blythe also loves dressing up in fancy things, so I got her a box of four different princess outfits.  I think she loves the box as much as the dress-ups inside.  She had to try on each outfit, complete with matching accessories, and then model for us.  She looked lovely--just lovely.



 

 
Furious unwrapping with help from Brandt.

Princesses.  What a beauty.


Blythe at three is much like Blythe at two, except she is more of everything.  She is more cute, more funny, and more interesting.  She is more sassy, more sneaky, more prone to negotiate for what she wants.  She talks more, she sings more, she jumps more.  She is more opinionated, more stubborn, and more quick to tease.  We love her more and more.

Sunday was the first summer concert in the park, and so we combined our birthday celebrating with musical enjoyment.  We had family come for cupcakes and ice cream and then sat on the grass and listened to Utah Premier Brass.  When I asked Blythe if she had a good birthday, she said, "Yes."  She must have really liked it because Monday morning, first thing she asked when she woke up was, "Mom?  It my birthday today?"

Look at that cute birthday hat!  Thanks Brinkerhoffs!
I got Blythe's birthday shirt on etsy.

In addition to cupcakes, we had these treats: fruit snacks, Rolos, Skittles, M&Ms, pistachios.



  
All the family who came to celebrate:
Aunt Brenda, Cousin Joel, Grandma Barrus
Grandma Sue
Aunt Mikayla and "Uncle" Guy
Uncle Eugene and cousins Blake, Makenna, Luke, and Collin
Uncle Christopher, Aunt Tysen, and cousins Ava, Griffin, Crew, and Lyla (just out of the hospital)
Uncle Bryan and Aunt Missy
Uncle Tad, Aunt Michelle, and cousins Annie, Charlie, Tess, Jace, and Lydia

 
More furious unwrapping with Brandt and Luke watching intently.



Brandt in a bag.

This little purse is full of lip gloss.
Lots of little containers of lip gloss.
For the past two days, Blythe has been carrying it around with her everywhere.
And smearing lip gloss on Brandt whenever she has the chance.
She is, after all, more prone to teasing.

Sitting with Auntie Lala listening to the band.

Brandt, taking a short break from conducting.

At each concert they have a half-time march around the park.  
I wanted to get a picture of Brandt and Kent so I ran ahead of them a bit.  
I turned around to find that Brandt had run after me and was right behind me.
He doesn't like to be left behind.

I mentioned that Blythe is more stubborn and here is an example.
I wanted a picture of the two of us as she sat on my lap, and this is what I got.

 

I love the picture of Jace with his lips puckered up watching Blythe put lip gloss on Aunt Michelle.
He knew just what to do when Blythe put it on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment