Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Little Red Riding Hood

On Saturday I participated in an all women's bike ride I have done six times, Little Red Riding Hood.  I love this ride!  Riders bike all around Cache Valley north and west of Logan, it is super well supported, and it is non-competitive, so there is no pressure.  There are varying lengths you can ride--15, 35, 50, 85, and 100 miles--and the activities before and after are fun.  It is huge, with 3,000 riders, but it is so fantastic and well-run, it filled up in less than a day this year.  

For this year's 50's theme, there was a band playing music of the decade, an old-fashioned soda fountain, and an ice cream parlor at the finish with sundaes and bubblegum.  They also gave each participant a bracelet that looks like a miniature silver bike chain with a round charm that says "Little Red 2011."  The weather was perfect and the 50 miles I rode seemed to fly by. I wasn't a bit sore at the end, in spite of not having lots of time to train before the actual ride.  The only thing that hurt was the top of my legs below my biking shorts; although I put on sunscreen, it didn't do an adequate job.  Kent welcomed me home by calling me Rocky, as in the raccoon.  

The best part of the whole thing was that I got to bike with my dear friend Lisa Christensen.  I don't get to see enough of her, but we were together talking talking talking as we were biking biking biking.  I appreciate Kent who came home early on Friday to be with the children so I could go be athletic.  

Before the ride, decked out in our bike gear.  
I got to take the little red car!

This is the group of women we sort of went with.  
We didn't drive together, but we did share a dorm room at USU, and we met for ice cream Friday night.
In the back: me, Lisa Christensen, Joyce Baron, Joyce's daughter-in-law whose name escapes me, Kristie someone, and Jill Cheshire, Joyce's daughter.  Kristie and Jill are friends.
In the front: Darla and Karen who are in Lisa and Joyce's ward.

Here are Lisa and I with the Big Bad Wolf at the end of our ride.
None the worse for wear, just a bit sweatier than the first picture taken at the beginning of the day.
And a bit more sunburned.

No comments:

Post a Comment