Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Family Reunion

In the company of my mom and Aunt Georgianne, I took the children to a family reunion on Saturday.  It was the family of my great-grandmother Georgina Mordue Richard's sister, Elizabeth Mordue Sorensen.  Aunt Lizzie left England and her family to travel to Utah when she was only thirteen.  I had hoped to hear more about that trip and her experiences, but learned upon arrival that the reunion was held largely to try and patch up bad feelings between siblings and their descendants.  Apparently one of Lizzie's sons had a falling out with the family, left, changed the spelling of his name from Sorensen to Sorenson, and never had anything to do with anyone thereafter.  A sister wanted to gather people together to bridge the rift.

As I am the great-granddaughter of the sister of the mother/grandmother of the people at the reunion, I naturally knew no one.  However, the reunion was held at Young Living Lavender Farm in Mona, and the invitation promised fun activities for children.  Turns out that the farm is beautiful, there were lots of things to do, and we all had a great time.  I met a man who works with my brother-in-law Craig, and the best friend of the guy I was certain I was going to marry throughout my mission.  He recognized my maiden name.  There was a fun western village playground, paddle boats, animals (elk, bison, ponies, and camels), old farming equipment and wagons.  The children ran and ran and had a glorious time.  Brandt even asked, "Mom, can we come back here again?"  We probably will, and I won't even wait for another family reunion.

Rock throwing into the pond.

The super gross pond water we floated on.

Blythe and Grandma Sue in a paddle boat.

Mom and Brandt in another paddle boat.
Because I have been biking so much, I figured that peddling the paddle boat would be no big deal.
Hah!
The pedal rotation on the boat is much smaller than on a bike and I quickly felt my knees begin to complain.

My paddle boat partner and steer-er.   

When Grandma Sue was done, Blythe joined our boat for a short time.  
Like about a minute and a half.

Another water feature and surrounding buildings.  
Isn't it pretty?
Almost picturesque one might say.

Brandt feeding a pony.

Blythe wanted to feed a pony too, but not if it meant that the pony's mouth would touch her hand.

Here is a funky old piece of farm equipment.
Brandt asked, "Mom, what is this?"
I had no idea.
It looked sort of like a hay baler of some sort, but I'm not sure.
Didn't stop the children from climbing up and manipulating all the controls.

Look at that concentration.

There must be a medieval festival or something held at the farm.
There were spots to do archery and axe throwing, there were all the English looking buildings, and a jousting arena, and Brandt found a helmet and sword.  
He put on the helmet, picked up the sword, and before Grandma and I could get out, "Be careful with the sword," he had inadvertently whacked Blythe on the side of the head with it.
He sure looks the part of a brave knight.


 
This is the "jail car," one of many old pieces of transportation.
I found it ironic that my children were drawn to the cage-like car when I frequently consider them wild animals.  
Too appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment